Error 503 - Service Unavailable

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JMMotyer
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:20 am    Post subject: Error 503 - Service Unavailable Reply with quote

Hello all,

When I turn FastCGI on, X2 returns an Error 503 - Service Unavailable error. When I switch back to CGI/ISAPI, everything works fine.

I'm using AWS-X2 v2.3.0.4, PHP v5.1.1, MySQL v4.1.7

The CGI log files shows nothing for when I tried to access my site under FastCGI, and there was no FastCGI log file, so I created one (in the console, of course :wink:). Then I tried accessing my site again, but the log file stayed at 0 bytes.

Anyone else experienced this in trying to get FastCGI working, or have any suggestions?

Thanx.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
TRUSTAbyss
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What scripting support was you installing and how did you install it? This
information will help us determine what the problem is.
JMMotyer
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if I understand your question, my main site is running e107 v0.7.1, which is entirely PHP-based.

But to see if this problem is because of e107 or AWS, I also have a 2nd (test) site running on a different port. This test site does not use e107 or any other CMS .... just a couple of PHP scripts. But here's the thing .... on this test site, the first thing that should be displayed is it's index.html file in htdocs, which isn't even php, but I still get that 503 error.

So quite likely, seeing how it seems that it's only me having this problem, I must have 1 little setting incorrect in Abyss. Under CGI/ISAPI, this incorrect setting didn't manifest itself, but when I try FastCGI, it's making itself known. :-)

I also checked my php.ini file. A search for FastCGI revealed 1 line, which I uncommented and changed to 0 (as I don't use IIS), but this didn't help either.

Thanks for your help, TrustPunk, and sorry to be a bother.
roganty
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also had this problem setting the php interface to FastCGI.

Adding PHP Support wrote:
If after adding PHP support, your PHP scripts refuse to run and report Error 503, this is probably because your PHP interpreter does not support the FastCGI mode. In such a case, set its Interface field to CGI/ISAPI to solve the problem.

but because of that paragraph, i presume it is to do with what version of php you are using, or if php is compiled with FastCGI support

Roganty
| Links-Links.co.uk
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Error 503 - Service Unavailable Reply with quote

JMMotyer,

Create a phpinfo.php file and copy into it:

Code:
<?php
    phpinfo();
?>

Put the file in your web site and browse it.

You should see the your PHP interpreter properties. Look for the Server API line: does it mention FastCGI? If there is no FastCGI mention, your PHP interpreter has been built without FastCGI support.

If FastCGI is listed, please set FastCGI debugging level to its maximum value (all input/output) and set a FastCGI log/error file. Set PHP to use FastCGI. Restart the server and try browsing a PHP file. After getting error 503, stop the server, set again PHP to use CGI, and post here the contents of the FastCGI error/log file or it to our technical support.
JMMotyer
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done. And I've also upgraded to the latest php v5.1.2, but it's happening using this version too.

Here's the results in the log file:

Code:
14/Apr/2006:12:44:57 -0300   SUID: 0   server_bind() = {port=1024}
14/Apr/2006:12:44:57 -0300   SUID: 0   PUID: 0   process_start(cmdline=""D:\Program Files\Server\PHP\php-cgi.exe" ") = OK
14/Apr/2006:12:44:57 -0300   SUID: 0   PUID: 0   RUID: 0   connect() = OK
14/Apr/2006:12:44:57 -0300   SUID: 0   PUID: 0   RUID: 0   send_table(type=9, size=56 bytes, items=3)
14/Apr/2006:12:44:57 -0300   SUID: 0   PUID: 0   RUID: 0   send_table_item(key="FCGI_MAX_CONNS", value="")
14/Apr/2006:12:44:57 -0300   SUID: 0   PUID: 0   RUID: 0   send_table_item(key="FCGI_MAX_REQS", value="")
14/Apr/2006:12:44:57 -0300   SUID: 0   PUID: 0   RUID: 0   send_table_item(key="FCGI_MPXS_CONNS", value="")
14/Apr/2006:12:44:57 -0300   SUID: 0   PUID: 0   RUID: 0   send_table_end()
14/Apr/2006:12:44:57 -0300   SUID: 0   PUID: 0   RUID: 0   send_table(type=9, size=8 bytes, items=0)
14/Apr/2006:12:44:57 -0300   SUID: 0   PUID: 0   RUID: 0   send_table_end()
14/Apr/2006:12:45:07 -0300   SUID: 0   PUID: 0   RUID: 0   disconnect()
14/Apr/2006:12:45:07 -0300   SUID: 0   server_close()

This is no big deal to me, guys, as everything here works fine under CGI/ISAPI. Just that it would be nice if it works faster. :-)

Thanx for everyone's help.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMMotyer wrote:
Done. And I've also upgraded to the latest php v5.1.2, but it's happening using this version too.

The version number does not matter. The same version could be built to support FastCGI or not. All depends on the building settings of the PHP interpreter you are using.

Have you done the phpinfo() test as suggested above? What is the value of "Server API" line?
Forum Administrator
Aprelium - https://aprelium.com
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
JMMotyer
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, yes, it is indeed enabled.
Code:
Server API:  CGI/FastCGI
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMMotyer wrote:
Sorry, yes, it is indeed enabled.
Code:
Server API:  CGI/FastCGI

Could you please send your abyss.conf file, php.ini file, and the URL from which you have downloaded PHP to our priority technical support?
Forum Administrator
Aprelium - https://aprelium.com
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
JMMotyer
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's on it's way to you right now. Sorry, I forgot to include a subject in the email. :-)

Thanx for your help.
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMMotyer,

Thanks. We've received the email and we'll send you a reply very soon.
chewzzqq
-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mee too,error 503
http://gimchortrading.myvnc.com/cgi-bin/mnpds/mnpds.cgi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chewzzqq wrote:
mee too,error 503
http://gimchortrading.myvnc.com/cgi-bin/mnpds/mnpds.cgi

Perl scripts do not support FastCGI by default. They'll have to be modified. Otherwise, only CGI is supported by them. Please read http://www.aprelium.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8752&highlight= .
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Error 503 - Service Unavailable Reply with quote

JMMotyer's FastCGI problem has been found: it seems that when ZoneAlarm is installed on a computer, FastCGI applications and interpreters cannot be launched correctly.

It's a bug in ZoneAlarm and has nothing to do with Abyss Web Server or FastCGI itself. Until Zone Labs' developers fix this issue, the only solution is to completely uninstall ZoneAlarm from your computer to have FastCGI applications run correctly on it (Turing ZoneAlarm off is not sufficient, a complete uninstall is required).

Here is the detailed explanation of the bug: ZoneAlarm firewall intercepts all Windows networking functions (sockets API) and wraps them with its access check. All the networking functions are correctly intercepted except one (DuplicateHandle()). As a result, this function behaves in an incompatible way with the rest of "intercepted" functions.

Since this function is called during the initialization of any FastCGI application, all FastCGI processes will fail because of the incoherent results DuplicateHandle() returns.

Note that other firewall software (such as Windows Firewall, Kerio) do not have this problem and FastCGI will run on them without any problem.
168pin
-

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just downloaded and installed the latest Abyss X1, and the preconfigured PHP package, and experienced the same problems with FastCGI, though it worked fine using the other method.

I run no firewall, and my antivirus is NOD32...
-

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im posting a message to keep track of this thread, I would like to know if this problem ever gets solved as I am a paid subscriber to Zone Alarm so I'm reluctant to switch to another brand.

Paul
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulK wrote:
Im posting a message to keep track of this thread, I would like to know if this problem ever gets solved as I am a paid subscriber to Zone Alarm so I'm reluctant to switch to another brand.

Paul

The new version 2.3.2 which will be available very soon (in a few days) solves this problem by support FastCGI through pipes (besides local TCP/IP connections).

Pipes are not controlled by ZoneAlarm and so the reported bug does not occur.
JMMotyer
-

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that we doubt Aprelium's word, of course, but I just want to confirm that Fast-CGI does indeed work perfectly with Zone Alarm now.

Aprelium spent a lot of sleepless nights burning the midnight oil while connected to my PC, in order to get to the root of the problem. I thank them wholeheartedly, and it is a testament to their superior level of support.

For the record, I am running Abyss Web Server X2 (v2.3.2) and Zone Alarm Security Suite (v6.5.722.000). It is this combination that I am comfirming that Fast-CGI (and everything else) works perfectly with.

It's a pleasure & honour to use your product, Aprelium, and thanks again.
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMMotyer,

You're welcome.

We too thank you for helping us discover the origin of this bug. You've given us full access to your computer during 2 or 3 days until we understood what was going on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> PHP All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: