Mask IP

View previous topic :: View next topic  
animerlz
-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:55 am    Post subject: Mask IP Reply with quote

Does anybody know if you can mask your ip address in the address bar when using abyss web server. I don't like my ip address shown..i would like my no-ip.com address to show up. Thanks in advance!
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glitch2082
-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To mask your IP use a proxy server, It should work with a web server.
}
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Arctic
-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://freedns.afraid.org
Back to top View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
GagnierA
-

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already posted this a couple times, but once more couldn't hurt I guess...lol

Go there, that's what I use and it's fast and flawless :) Good luck!
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
senshi
-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noIP.com hasnt got a patch on www.dyndns.org is by far the easiest, most accurate and almost instant update service that I have come actross.

The update is so simple, if you have any coding skill and half a brain, you could even write your own IP update routine although theirs loads of free dns updaters to choose from.

From experience of using noIP.com, it didnt work too well, could not resolve my true IP address most of the time it only gave my ISP's proxy address and update times were upto 10 mins long which if you needed an instant update after coming on-line or ip change, you have to wait for it to catch up, not a very good service.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
GagnierA
-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long ago was that? And were you by any chance behind an unproperly configured router and/or firewall? Their free DNS updater client runs in the system try and is constantly checking if your IP has changed or not...but not to the point where it would be eating up CPU time or anything. It can also manage multiple sites...and if by some lucky chance that it doesn't update fast enough, there's a button that you can click to manually update it....

Alot has changed since you last tried it, but I vaguely remember the problem you're talking about. Besides, most people who are running a web server more than likely have an ISP that gives static IP addresses....unless you subscribe a cheaper (and might I add, unsuitable) subscription package, then it serves you right! lol, j/k :)
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
senshi
-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the problem is noIP.com, nothiing to do with routers and things like firewalls, it is squarely in noIP.com's backyard, they dont have a reliable IP detection system, it only see's the proxy that my ISP stuffs between the users and the internet.

My IP is static and I use a DNS service to have out on the net, when my ISP does alterations, my IP address changes to another static one, I use to be 213.107.***.** but was 62.254.**.** for allong time but have moved down the road a bit to IP address 62.57.*.*** this happens after my ISP has reconfigured its network.

You can FIX your IP address if its a changing one, their was a DHCP fix program that you ran once and the iP you had at the time was yours until the network admin reset the DHCP IP stack.

IP addresses are OK to use inside HTML but to the leyman, a human readable form address is remembered eaily, it also helps with things like changing IP addresses.

In relation to noIP.com, the update times are slow, they may check every few minutes under the try n buy but IM pretty sure they will be chucking most of their resources at hooking new clients.
Arctic
-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glyde51 wrote:
http://freedns.afraid.org

Fast, simple, takes 5 minutes to sign up, and you update it yourself using a URL that you can bookmark or put into your favorites.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
GagnierA
-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what it is with you senshi...do you actually know how to read? lol....with no-ip.com there is no "try and buy" and there's no need to ever manually change anything. As I've said in a previous post, I've been using it for a number of years, along with many of my friends and countless other millions of people and have never once had any problems...enough of the propaganda already.
cerq
-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:42 am    Post subject: I'm with you. Reply with quote

GagnierA wrote:
I don't know what it is with you senshi...do you actually know how to read? lol....with no-ip.com there is no "try and buy" and there's no need to ever manually change anything. As I've said in a previous post, I've been using it for a number of years, along with many of my friends and countless other millions of people and have never once had any problems...enough of the propaganda already.

I've been using NO-IP for all m ost a full year now and it does not show my IP address and was so simple to setup and use I thought I did it wrong.

I'm ip address has not changed from the day I setup NO-IP, and I'm running 3 web pages on two windows 2000 workstations with a Linkus router using port 80, 8030, and 8015. I've lost power over 4 different times in the past year and the routher resets and all address are still running.

Oh bu the way I'm with time Warrer in SO-Cali.

Use it it's the best...Tony C.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
GagnierA
-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol...uh yeah....thanks for standing with me on this....but if you actually worked with TIME WARNER, I think you'd know how to spell it properly...no offense though...just thought it was funny haha :P :)
eyn
-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I registered a .info domain for 1 year, free (they have promotion a while ago). Then I have ZoneEdit as my nameserver, the next thing you need is a program that updates your ip forwarding at ZoneEdit, there's some free dns update program around that supports ZoneEdit I guess. After you set these up it's really easy, the dns update program runs at startup, check your ip, and update the nameserver to point to your current ip. No manual inteference needed. Now my server is running whenever I start my computer.

I have dynamic ip, and using the method above things are simple and easy.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
senshi
-

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GagnierA wrote:

Yes do you?

noIP.com HAS slow update times, I had used the service and it based on experience, you cant get around that, I have used the service and found it to fail miserably.

I tried several services and the only one that was 100% reliable at DETECTING THE CORRECT IP ADDRESS was... Tada...www.dyndns.org DNS servers.

What you have to decern between is marketed crap like noIP and reliablity in a no frills affair like dyndns.org.

All the user has to be aware of is if they have problems with the IP address and seeing thier server will not be the IP address they have rather it will with noIP.com.

IP addresses have gone through phases, my ISP used to change IP addresses every 4 hours, even though my connection is a 750kbps broadband connection. They then switched to static addressing when p2p filesharing took off with a big bang, that is why we now have static IP addresses, easier to identify illegal file shares because the IP addreses are now static whereas before it was harder to prove with changing IP addresses.

I like the bit on the site about monitoring failover, wtf are they selling you now? failover is something that happens to your machine not your IP address, if you go and do a Network Administrators course you will soon find that out yourself. Looks like they are touting for buisnesss based on peoples ignorance.
GagnierA
-

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I've mentioned previously in another thread (not that I would expect you to have read it), this whole debate is lame and worthless....you use what you like, but don't recommend crap to people who don't know any better. Just because you claim to be an expert Mr. Know-It-All, that doesn't mean it's necessarily true.

Also, just so that you're aware, I didn't bother to read your last post because it's probably another load of hogwash as I would expect. So, I guess all that's left to be said is that this topic of discussion is closed the way I see it.
senshi
-

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sentiments reciprocated.

As for not reading, thats your perogative and will say that I dont expect you to read but rather comprehend that theirs another side to the service and given that most people are ignorant to the ways of the internet, it dont help people by pushing them towards a service that just geared up to take you for as much cash as they can, fact is, you dont need to *uck around with half noIP.coms services, as long as you can get them onto your domain, you can then offer up any service you wish.

Most people cant wrap around their heasd that they have the potential to make their machine have all the functionality of an ISP server and easily network to provide epanded support and other items, the main issue is just getting the people onto your machine (domain) not *ucked around by services that are not needed, fact is POP and SMTP can be configured on any port, to facilitate easier networking, certain protocols use certain ports and these can be change as the host sees fit or requires for conectivity.

I dont expect your reading this because I most likely pointed out that your belovid noIP.com has not got the reliable track record that they portray, atleast I can say that I have sat and researched DNS services and of the couple of hundres I looked at, found dyndns.org's to be the most acurate fastest and reliable on the internet, IM obviously talking from the standpoint of a totally FREE servic, but if you want to cough up cash then do so as noIP really wants you to pay for the service, that much I did figure out when I tried to gain some advice from them over the matter of my IP not being detected correctly, something allot of services have an issue over, this is largely due to the methods employed in detecting the machines or gateway IP address. I am behind a route and where my modem ip is detected, allot of others only detect the machine IP others the routers IP address, so you can see theirs varying levels of accuracy thats the issue.

I am very well aware of my own ignorance but when IM right about something I will say something and that is usually based on age, experience and research and I think your problem is one of comprehension, because I never claimed to be anything, so I took I took a couple of MSCP modules that form part of a Network Administrators Training, it certainly does not make me any more of an expert and neither did I profess to be or say anything like that so why do you call me a kno-it-all as thats what you inferred when you passed that comment that I claim to be. Careful because IF you read my post, you will see that is the case and not as you calim.
GagnierA
-

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice post, but I should state more clearly that just because you've taken maybe 8 months (at the most) of "formal training" in the networking feild doesn't hold any bearings with me. I wasn't going to mention this, because it doesn't really matter, but I've also taken a number of college programs and am a certified Computer Programmer/Systems Analyst....which in turn gives me a number of different certifications, such as (without getting technical about it), Networking, Data Managment, Wide Area Networks, Java Programming, C++ Programming, .NET Programming, Network Administration, Linux Systems, Project Managment, Web Development, and the list goes on and on....and not to mention the fact that I'll be starting my Bachelor's Degree programs in the fall (upcoming) but like I said, none of it really matters here.

This topic of dicussion was closed, yet you opened your (or your fingers? heh) again. I don't know why you'd want an outside source to be able to detect your machine's IP address if you're behind a router....which I might add is impossible....the point is for it to see your router's IP, and then you handle all the port forwarding issues, etc manually.

Nonetheless, I'll say it again....this topic is old and not worth either of our time. I have rebuttles, it's not that I CAN'T argue with you further....it's that I choose not to.

;) :)
senshi
-

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you can code, whoopie do, so can I.

Still doesnt get around the fact that noIP.com has issues with IP address detection, all your diplomas in the world wont alter that fact.
Glitch2082
-

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could care less too. Your expeirince means nothing to the opinions of others.
}
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
senshi
-

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That may be your opinion but to tell others that you couldnt care less is totally pointless.

Its up to the people who read the thread to decide on what is suitable, just because I put forward my opinion does not make it any less valid than the others but inlight of the fact that I keep saying, I HAVE USE the noIP.com service myself and it fails miserably.

If you cant bring anything other to the forum, why bother answering?

Besides, this subject comes up so ofteh, IM surprised that it isnt a STICKY at the top of the board, save allot of posts because people cant be assed to search, well when search is working because their seems to be an error with it.
GagnierA
-

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

still rambling on about this? lol

...sad sad sad...

:P :D
senshi
-

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I know you obviously are by the responce you have just given, you obviously havent got the intellectual capacity for argument and resort to short comments designed to make me what exactly?

If you have nothing valid to bring to the thread, I suggest you shut up.
GagnierA
-

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're mental....are you forgetting that I was the one that started this whole conversation? lol...I've already brought enough. Arguing over arbitrary topics (such as this one) can only stay interesting for so long...all you're doing is constantly repeating yourself, so why don't you shut up? Do us all the favor ;)
senshi
-

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you posted a soloution. So did I and I merely pointed out what I did as a pre-warning so that matey who wanted to mask IP could do so if a soloution offered fell flat on its face.

noIP and dyndns by no means are the be all and end all of the DNS world, theirs 1,000 of suppliers of services and each one with its own merits but the service you get largely depends on the typ of network your ISP is operating, in my case noIP wont work as was the same with allot of other free services, even the IP check offered whrough this site can only detect my Proxy IP address issued by my ISP.

So its not as clear cut as yeah this will do you mate, it rocks and all that other shite, you have to try a few to judge which works.

This is something that you have so obviously have not even considered and from the way that you answer the post you have lack of foresight on these matters.

Sorry but I call it as I see it and if people dont like it then tough shit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: