Abyss Web Server 2.12 adds automated use of free certificates from Let's Encrypt and improves macOS support
December 19, 2018
Today, we are happy to announce the new version 2.12 of Abyss Web Server. As usual, it is available in two editions for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux:
- Abyss Web Server X1 version 2.12: Free personal edition. It isn't a trial version or a demo. It is a fully usable personal web server with no limitations, no nag screens, no spyware, and no advertisements.
- Abyss Web Server X2 version 2.12: Professional edition priced at US $59.95. It is a professional web server which comes with one year of free upgrades and one year of priority technical support.
It is highly recommended that users of previous releases upgrade as soon as possible to this new version.
- Integrated support for automatically requesting, fetching, and installing free SSL/TLS certificates from ACME certification authorities such as Let's Encrypt®. No third party script or tool is required for this feature which is fully controllable using the Web-based console of Abyss Web Server.
- The reverse-proxy feature now supports HTTPS and WebSocket back-ends.
- Added support for dual hosting on both HTTP and HTTPS in the free personal edition X1. This feature was previously only available in the professional edition X2.
- Added a new field Debugging Label to URL rewriting rules. Such a label, if defined, will be added in the URL rewriting log to help locate the rules as they are listed and reported.
- Added support for Linux distributions based on a systemd init system. The autostart-setup script has been updated accordingly and will now install Abyss Web Server as a service on almost any Linux distribution.
The new version improves macOS support in numerous ways:
- Abyss Web Server features support for the new Dark Mode on macOS 10.14 (Mojave.)
- Abyss Web Server is now conformant with modern macOS GateKeeper and integrated firewall thanks to its signature.
- Abyss Web Server will run on the latest macOS 10.14 (Mojave) down to Mac OS X 10.4 (Lion).
- Abyss Web Server ships as a 3-architecture Universal Binary. Inside its application, there are three native executables side by side, each for a different architecture. Abyss Web Server will run natively on modern 64-bit Intel Macs (x86_64), on legacy 32-bit Intel Macs (i386) and on legacy PowerPC Macs (ppc.)
Native PowerPC support as well as Mac OS X 10.4 as a minimum requirement makes Abyss Web Server one of the rare modern day software that continues to be compatible with Macs built 1999 onward. This is part of our effort to help our users and customers maintain their old computers and continue using them effectively. Most legacy computers have enough power and speed to handle Web service tasks without any issues.
For Abyss Web Server X1 Users
Visit Downloads to get the new version of Abyss Web Server. Installation and upgrading instructions are provided on the download page.
For Abyss Web Server X2 Users
Open Abyss Web Server's console, select Help & Support, and click on Check for Updates.
Keep in touch with us
Sign up for our low volume newsletter to get product announcements, articles and power tips.