Domain Name Issues

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leviatas
-

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:27 am    Post subject: Domain Name Issues Reply with quote

How might I transfer my domain name (Currently hosted with bravenet.com) to be available for Abyss without having to enter the localhost?

I want people to be able to type in www.thehouseofnine.com and have abyss server it instead of bravenet. (Off of my own computer)
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
loloyd
-

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it appears that you paid for your domain name at bravenet or you used one of their premium hosting packages (as opposed to their ad-supported free domain name + free webhosting service).

from your bravenet control panel, try to find your A records settings, and then point them to your own ip address. this works especially well if you have a persistent ip, but if you have a dynamic one, you'd have to find a way to update your A records every time your ip changes. take note that A records normally need resolution distribution for up to an hour or so.

here is some info from your domain name:

NS records at parent servers - Your NS records at the parent servers are:
ns10.bravehost.com. [65.39.211.13] [TTL=172800] [US]
ns9.bravehost.com. [65.39.211.12] [TTL=172800] [US]
[These were obtained from j.gtld-servers.net]

SOA record - Your SOA record [TTL=21600] is:
Primary nameserver: ns1.bravehost.com.
Hostmaster E-mail address: dnsadmin.bravenet.com.
Serial #: 20030201
Refresh: 28800
Retry: 7200
Expire: 1209600
Default TTL: 3600

WWW Record - Your www.thehouseofnine.com A record is:
www.thehouseofnine.com. A 65.39.211.180 [TTL=21600] [US]

http://home.loloyd.com/ is online if the logo graphic at left is showing.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Leviatas
-

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot find anything like that on my control panel.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
loloyd
-

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try contacting bravenet support and ask them if they can provide you a means to change your A record. tell them you want to host your domain from your PC at home. tell them the ip address of your home PC too (or router/modem-dialer) as they may be able to change your A records for you.

btw, do you have a persistent ip address at home? if not (this means you have a dynamic ip), you will have to figure out a way on how to automatically update your A records once your ISP renews your ip address assignment. some routers have this kind of function on selected dns hosting providers.

in my case, i enlisted the free services of zoneedit.com for dns management. they have dynamic dns support (read http://zoneedit.com/doc/dynamic.html?). i bought my domain name elsewhere (mw) but i specifically instructed them that i manage my own NS records at zoneedit. if this looks confusing, try reading http://zoneedit.com/doc/faq.html.

in summary, this is how it would work:
1. you buy domain "domain.net" from a domain registrar. the domain registrar takes the responsibility of registering your domain name to higher level registrars (normally tld's).
2. you tell them you want to manage your nameservers elsewhere (ex: zoneedit), so that requests to your domain.net will be forwarded by your registrar to zoneedit. NS records normally come in pairs but the recommendation is actually at least 2 pairs.
3. zoneedit takes care of all your A records, CNAMEs, MX, SOA, etc, however you want it. if you're new to this, it may take a day of reading and setting configurations, but you'll quickly become an expert. for your www needs, you have to take care of your A records first.

http://home.loloyd.com/ is online if the logo graphic at left is showing.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: