what if im behind a connection sharing computer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thebuzz
-

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: what if im behind a connection sharing computer Reply with quote

Ok i have one computer directly connected to the internet via cable modem no router, no hub, no special connection software. I have 2 other computers connected to it in a chain using internet connection sharing. All 3 connect to the internet just fine with no problems running chat software and P2P software. All 3 systems run Win Xp Pro / SP2.
I have Abyss Web Server installed on the second computer, the other two computers can access my webpages hosted by Abyss, both can access the console but no one out side of this network can access my webpages ore the console.
So the First computer would be a gateway for the second one wich has Abyss installed on it. Can I set up Abyss to run this way ore do I have to set it up on the computer directly connected to the internet. Ore can I set up port forwarding on the first computer like it was a router. That seams to be what I need to do in order to get this configuration to work.

Any help would be much appreciated, I havent done a lot of networking myself and I am totally self taught in all computer areas, never taken any kind of course ever. But I am far from computer illiterate, I have 8 year's of expierience with the thing's, lol.
This is just the first time I have ever set up a web server of any kind.

Any one that want's to give me some input and help me out here, may contact me by E-Mail thebuzzedone@hotmail.com this is my MSN messanger contact too if you would prefer that method.
My ICQ# is: 259492738
Yahoo Mesanger is: iamthebuzzedone

I allways have these chat programs running i never shut them off and I am almost allways sitting at one of my computers so I am usually easy to get a hold of if any one wants to chat, about Abyss I really like the software so far and love information input about computers. LOL

Thanks for any help any one could give me.
THE BUZZ.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your easiest option would be to install it on the computer with the cable modem attatched to it, the other option would be to buy a router.

It IS possible to connect abyss to the internet in this way but it is difficult to set up and I have no idea how to do it, I have only seen it done.
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, port fowarding is pretty simple in XP ICS.

In "Network Connections" right click on the connection which you are sharing with ICS and choose Properties.

Go to Advanced and in the Internet Connection Sharing box, click Settings.

Scroll down to Web Server (HTTP) (assuming that your Abyss server is running on port 80) tick the box next to it and then click Edit.

Enter the IP of your LAN PC running Abyss into the only available box.

OK your way out.

Should be it!

Note that if you have problems with this on port 80, you should try again with a higher numbered custom port as some ISPs block access to port 80 on DSL/cable connections.

"Invent an idiot proof webserver and they'll invent a better idiot..."
thebuzz
-

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: awesome thanks Reply with quote

Ya I thought about setting it up on the connection sharing computer, then I also thought that it might be more secure behind it.

ill try your way Anonymoose and see what happens thanks for the help.
abyssisthebest
-

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had that problem, and i tried annonymouse's theory and it worked for a few mins and then it stoped, i would reccomend serching the forum for port forwarding software. There is a lot of it out there on the net but it is just finding free ones!
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: