Help - I can't view my web site

View previous topic :: View next topic  
txyaaj
-

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:47 am    Post subject: Help - I can't view my web site Reply with quote

I am trying to set up a home web server with the following situation:
- DSL - with dynamic IP
- Linksys Router (IP 192.168.1.1) - HDCP enabled (range 192.168.200 - 192.168.250)
- Port forwarding - HTTP 80 & SMTP 25
- XP with SP2
- Set server computer IP to static ip 192.168.1.20

I just downloaded/installed the web server today. Everything seems to be working ok except I can't get to my web site. I could view the web site if I used the Abyss Web Server's IP (http://127.0.0.1), but when I tried to connect the site with the domain name (www.xyz.com) I or http://192.168.1.20 I get the following errors:
1. Error when using domain name - "Document contains no data."
2. Error when using IP - "The connection was refused when attempting to contact 192.168.1.20"

I read through some of the related threads previously posted and tried a few things but seems like I am stuck!

Any help would be greatly appreciated....Thanks.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
MonkeyNation
-

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Help - I can't view my web site Reply with quote

txyaaj wrote:
- DSL - with dynamic IP
- Linksys Router (IP 192.168.1.1) - HDCP enabled (range 192.168.200 - 192.168.250)
- XP with SP2

I just downloaded/installed the web server today. Everything seems to be working ok except I can't get to my web site. I could view the web site if I used the Abyss Web Server's IP (http://127.0.0.1), but when I tried to connect the site with the domain name (www.xyz.com) I or http://192.168.1.20 I get the following errors:
2. Error when using IP - "The connection was refused when attempting to contact 192.168.1.20"

I read through some of the related threads previously posted and tried a few things but seems like I am stuck!

Is "192.168.1.20" not your internal IP?
Firstly, you are connecting to the wrong IP(unless you have a very unfortunate one), youll want to find out your external IP from http://aprelium.com/ip/. Unless of course you meant to connect on this IP from inside a LAN.
Secondly, You probably wont be able to view your site from the machine/LAN your server is on. You will need to lookup 127.0.0.1 instead of your IP.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a LinkSys router and I can access the site from the server and any computer inside the lan...
txyaaj
-

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Help - I can't view my web site Reply with quote

MonkeyNation wrote:

Firstly, you are connecting to the wrong IP(unless you have a very unfortunate one), youll want to find out your external IP from http://aprelium.com/ip/. Unless of course you meant to connect on this IP from inside a LAN.
Secondly, You probably wont be able to view your site from the machine/LAN your server is on. You will need to lookup 127.0.0.1 instead of your IP.

Yes, "192.168.1.20" is my computer's static IP that I assigned to it, but I couldn't view the site either with the domain name, which should be equivalent to the external IP right?

Btw, I am using ZoneEdit.com for my DNS provider and using Jip to automatically update my IP whenever it changes (very often).

When I tried using the external IP I get the same error of "Document contains no data." I tried viewing the site from a different machine outside of the network and still couldn't do it either. What gives?

Thanks,
Tou
MonkeyNation
-

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Help - I can't view my web site Reply with quote

txyaaj wrote:
MonkeyNation wrote:

Yes, "192.168.1.20" is my computer's static IP that I assigned to it, but I couldn't view the site either with the domain name, which should be equivalent to the external IP right?

Btw, I am using ZoneEdit.com for my DNS provider and using Jip to automatically update my IP whenever it changes (very often).

When I tried using the external IP I get the same error of "Document contains no data." I tried viewing the site from a different machine outside of the network and still couldn't do it either. What gives?

Thanks,
Tou

Sorry to be picky but,
You assigned a static IP to your computer, which I assume is only for your LAN, and you have a dynamic external IP?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure that your DHCP range is 192.168.200 - 192.168.250? What's your router model #?
When you assign a static IP to one PC, you have to set a static for all PCs in the network, as well.
Otherwise, your router might try to assign that IP address to another computer on the network.

Just my two cents. ;)
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
txyaaj
-

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moxxnixx wrote:
Are you sure that your DHCP range is 192.168.200 - 192.168.250? What's your router model #?
When you assign a static IP to one PC, you have to set a static for all PCs in the network, as well.
Otherwise, your router might try to assign that IP address to another computer on the network.

Just my two cents. ;)

I am pretty sure that you could set up mix ip's with the same router. My router is a Linksys 2.4 GHz Wireless - G Broadband Router, Model No. WRT54G.

I set the static ip for the currently machine and set the router dhcp range starting at 200; by default it wants to have fifty max so I set the range from 200 - 250. Currently I only have one pc setup, but once I have this one figured out I will setup another pc for the upstairs and transfer the web server to a third pc.
davelissa
-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Help - I can't view my web site Reply with quote

txyaaj wrote:

Thanks,
Tou

192.168.... sounds like an internal IP address.

I usually use ipchicken.com to check my external IP address.

If your router supports loopback, you can check the external IP, but if it doesn't (mine doesn't), you may need to use netmonitor to see whether the site is visible outside the LAN.

Dave
Moxxnixx
-

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

txyaaj, you never mentioned running a firewall. Are you?
Xp's built-in firewall is turned on by default in SP2.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
txyaaj
-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, ZoneAlarm. Windows' firewall is disabled.

Not sure about the loopback, but I installed Apache 2 and was able to see my web page using the "localhost" or the internal ip of 192.168.1.20" from the server pc. I couldn't see the page from another pc outside of my network, but it did give me a directory list of my site though. So in a way I could see the site could be seen from internet.
razorbladesmile
-

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Help - I can't view my web site Reply with quote

txyaaj wrote:
- DSL - with dynamic IP
- XP with SP2

You must be using Firefox. I get those same errors all the time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: