Use mapped drive in windows

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
jeff r
-


Joined: 20 Oct 2004
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:27 am    Post subject: Use mapped drive in windows Reply with quote

Hi, I searched and havent found much on this so far . Is it possible to have an alias that uses a mapped drive. I have a ramdisk on another computer mapped in the server.
Thankyou, Jeff
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
olly86
-


Joined: 25 Apr 2003
Posts: 993
Location: Wiltshire, UK

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you can't at least in the newest BETA version you can't, I don't know about the others, but here's the instrushions on how to do it in case it can be done in other versions:

You will need to tell windows to "reconnect at login" or will have to manually readd the Network Drive.

Next goto the Aliases area in Abyss' config. Click add. In the Virtual Path feild add the text you want the user to type to access the aliases (eg: /photos). In the Real Path add the letter corrisponding to you Maped Network Drive (eg: Z:\).
_________________
Olly
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
admin
Site Admin


Joined: 03 Mar 2002
Posts: 1158

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Use mapped drive in windows Reply with quote

jeff r wrote:
Hi, I searched and havent found much on this so far . Is it possible to have an alias that uses a mapped drive. I have a ramdisk on another computer mapped in the server.
Thankyou, Jeff

Yes, it possible to add aliases to a mapped drive (just use the drive name for example Z:\ in the real path when declaring the alias.)
You can also set an alias to a network share (enter in the real path the network share path, for example \\computer\sharename\ .) Abyss accepts all the forms of paths Windows accepts. Anything that you can access with your Windows explorer can be accessed by Abyss.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
neeeko
-


Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Posts: 4
Location: Arkansas, US

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, i've tried this :

\\computer\share

and this

Z:\

and AWS keeps on telling me it cannot reach the folder, but the server where AWS is installed can...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
olly86
-


Joined: 25 Apr 2003
Posts: 993
Location: Wiltshire, UK

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neeeko wrote:
and AWS keeps on telling me it cannot reach the folder, but the server where AWS is installed can...


I think Aprelium have mentioned before that if Abyss is run as a service it can't connect to any other computer's shares on the network, this includes mapped shares. As the SYSTEM does not have access to these shares.

Aprelium should be along to correct me if I'm wrong.
_________________
Olly
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
aprelium
-


Joined: 22 Mar 2002
Posts: 6800

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

olly86 wrote:
neeeko wrote:
and AWS keeps on telling me it cannot reach the folder, but the server where AWS is installed can...


I think Aprelium have mentioned before that if Abyss is run as a service it can't connect to any other computer's shares on the network, this includes mapped shares. As the SYSTEM does not have access to these shares.

Aprelium should be along to correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, that's right. Actually the behavior is caused by Windows: the network mappings are connected when the user logs on. If Abyss Web Server is running as a service, no connections are made by Windows.

If Abyss Web Server is running as a service, it may be also using another user account which may explain the cause of the problem.
_________________
Support Team
Aprelium - http://www.aprelium.com
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB phpBB Group