Can I acces my websites on X2 using internal IP address?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JMMotyer
-

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:02 pm    Post subject: Can I acces my websites on X2 using internal IP address? Reply with quote

Hello, folks,

I seem to recall that when I first started using Abyss (X1) 18 years ago, that in addition to accessing that site with the domain name (i.e. www.domain-name.com), that I could also access that same website from my internal home network by using its local IP (and/or localhost).

Since then I've been running multiple hosts on X2.

Am I somehow still able to access each of my multiple hosts using the internal IP address of my PC that Abyss is running on, by including something after the IP?

I notice that when I'm in Abyss Console, when I go into one of the hosts to configure it, my browser's address bar shows, for example:

http://192.168.1.101:9999/hosts/host@13/edit

Am I able to access that host's website itself similarly from inside my home network, using http://192.168.1.101 followed by something like host@13 , etc?

The reason for wanting to do it this way (accessing it by IP) is for testing purposes without using a domain name.

Thank you in advance & have yourselves a great day.

Regards,
John
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Horizon
-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
the best way to access your website over your own local IP address is to remap your domain name with the hosts file to your internal IP.

If you connect directly by IP to your website, Abyss Web Server will fail to know which website you want to access (multiple hosts with different hostnames).

Then you can only access the default host in Abyss Web Server.

And because there's no Host HTTP header if you access your website by IP, then any PHP or CGI script will not be able to find what your hostname (domain name) should be for WordPress or CMS scripts, etc.

You already know that your server's IP is 192.168.1.101 so you could write in your hosts file (example):

192.168.1.101 my-domain-name.com

This will be either /etc/hosts (Linux) or C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts (Windows).

This way you can also take any domain name you want for testing without purchasing it, and you can also generate your own self-signed SSL certificates directly from Abyss Web Server itself.

Mapping your internal IP to a domain name is better than direct IP access because it will fully emulate what really happens when people will visit your production (not debug) website and when your php, etc scripts will run.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: