Are you currently using Mozilla's Firefox as your browser?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you currently using Mozilla's Firefox as your browser?
Yes
80%
 80%  [ 24 ]
No
20%
 20%  [ 6 ]
Never heard of Firefox
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 30

vhsorless
-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Are you currently using Mozilla's Firefox as your browser? Reply with quote

I've been using Mozilla's Firefox browser for about two months now and I don't think I'm ever going to use Internet Explorer again. Firefox rocks!

I was just wondering how many of you other Abyss users in this forum are using Firefox and what you think of it. Also, if you've used both Internet Explorer and Firefox, do you find that Abyss works differently on either browser?

Just curious. Thanks for participating in my little poll. :)
Systemsoft
-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunely, there is no browser with so much technology like Internet Explorer, and so much security like Firefox ;(

Sometimes I need to close Firefox for a while to check something in Internet Explorer.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Moxxnixx
-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Firefox 90% of the time. The other 10% is Opera. ;)
The only time I open IE is to check the layout of a site I'm designing.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
olly86
-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Opera all the time, except for online banking with NatWest (they don't support it yet:( ) then I use IE. I do not trust FireFox enough to use it.
-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not? Firefox is very safe browser...
Glitch2082
-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefox has more 'protection' so to speak. The only reason I don't like firefox is becuase it uses a lot more memory than IE. Right now I see FF using 19,492 kb. And IE is only using 9,000 kb.
}
vhsorless
-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glitch2082 wrote:
Firefox has more 'protection' so to speak. The only reason I don't like firefox is becuase it uses a lot more memory than IE. Right now I see FF using 19,492 kb. And IE is only using 9,000 kb.

Are you using extensions, themes and/or plugins? That might be a possible reason why FF is using so much more memory.
vhsorless
-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Systemsoft wrote:

I attached this reply to the wrong message by accident, but to the people that think IE is more secure than Firefox: not really...

Security Focus: Time to Dump Internet Explorer
http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/249

ZDNet Review of Firefox
http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/Mozilla_Firefox_1_0/4505-9241_16-31117280-2.html?tag=top

ZDNet Review of Internet Explorer
http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/Internet_Explorer_6_with_Windows_XP_SP2/4505-3514_16-31214886.html?tag=txt

ZDNet: Renewed Browser Wars - IE vs Firefox
http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/4520-3000_16-5561073-1.html

Lockergnome: Firefox vs IE
http://channels.lockergnome.com/windows/archives/20041115_firefox_vs_internet_explorer.phtml

Last edited by vhsorless on Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
olly86
-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Systemsoft wrote:

because I've got more control in the way IE behaves (via security applications), than FireFox. Plus FF uses far too much memory, and has the user interface appearance that software had in the mid 1990's.

on opening FF uses 15, 532 Kb that's much higher than both Opera, and IE.
-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

olly86 wrote:
Systemsoft wrote:

because I've got more control in the way IE behaves (via security applications), than FireFox. Plus FF uses far too much memory, and has the user interface appearance that software had in the mid 1990's.

on opening FF uses 15, 532 Kb that's much higher than both Opera, and IE.

Firefox is still being worked on, as this browser is not that old, but it's still not as buggy as IE. Plus, it doesn't use Active X.

Since I've been using Firefox, I've not had my browser hijacked, no spyware/adware has gotten installed on my PC (because you can pick and choose which sites are able to install software on your PC) and I've not had a browser crash: all things which happened while using IE, which incidentally, has been around for a looong time.
vhsorless
-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moxxnixx wrote:
I use Firefox 90% of the time. The other 10% is Opera. ;)
The only time I open IE is to check the layout of a site I'm designing.

That RTFM icon is sooo funny! LOL! Mind if I use it? :)
olly86
-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vhsorless wrote:
Firefox is still being worked on, as this browser is not that old, but it's still not as buggy as IE. Plus, it doesn't use Active X.

but IE can also be configured not to use Active X, like my setup (unless the site is added to the trusted zone).

vhsorless wrote:
Since I've been using Firefox, I've not had my browser hijacked, no spyware/adware has gotten installed on my PC (because you can pick and choose which sites are able to install software on your PC) and I've not had a browser crash: all things which happened while using IE, which incidentally, has been around for a looong time.

IE has not crashed on me, nor has it been hijacked, or spyware/adware got on to the system through IE.

Just because a browser is new does not make it better than a browser that's been around for a while.

Another thing I have a problem with is relying on a open source project to keep my security details private. With open source it is much easer for someone to find a security exploit, and exploit it. Without reporting it, how long would it take for it to be found and patched?

BUT Opera doesn't support Active X, and prevents spyware/adware getting in, and is very stable. The same as FF but with a nicer interface

Last edited by olly86 on Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
TRUSTAbyss
-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I see wrong about IE is those dumb Security Warnings. Also
the fact that people can make you automaticly open dos prompts is bad.

.The CSS Specification is not complete
.Some CSS code is bad in other browsers.
NoName
-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i've been using FireFox since back in the day when it was called 'FireBird'! It has always been great(was a little buggy at first) but for the past 10-12months has been an awesome browser... I'm a die hard FireFox user and like some have said, i only open IE to test my layouts. FireFox uses less memory then IE on my computer(but i guess it varies from PC to PC). FireFox also loads faster on my PC then IE and i do notice an increase in speed when browsing... Although some say IE is faster for them. I guess it all varies on your PC and what you like... I prefer FireFox... (plus you can't beat tab browsing) :)

Powered by Abyss Web Server
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
HIWD
-

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IE is is an adware virus, anytime I go in the net with it I end up getting something or another.
TRUSTAbyss
-

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped using IE except to test my website layouts. LateR! :)
Systemsoft
-

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Internet Explorer serve to browsing an Internet from your computer and vice versa ;)
vhsorless
-

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HIWD wrote:
IE is is an adware virus, anytime I go in the net with it I end up getting something or another.

You and me both!
vhsorless
-

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the good folks at Aprelium could create some sort of extension to include Abyss in Firefox's browser as the default web server, it would be sheer genius and another nail in Microsoft's coffin!

I wonder if it could be done?
Arctic
-

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only people that like to get infected use IE.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
TRUSTAbyss
-

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vhsorless wrote:
If the good folks at Aprelium could create some sort of extension to include Abyss in Firefox's browser as the default web server, it would be sheer genius and another nail in Microsoft's coffin!

I would really recommend this extension , you click on a button in firefox
to show the Abyss Web Server console , I like the tab browsing the best.
vhsorless
-

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRUSTpunk wrote:
vhsorless wrote:

I would really recommend this extension , you click on a button in firefox
to show the Abyss Web Server console , I like the tab browsing the best.

Hell yeah, that would be sweet! If the Abyss console could be integrated (for lack of a better word) into the Firefox browser and made skinnable, it could use the skins or "themes" that Firefox uses. Whooohoooooo!

The way Firefox is spreading, it could be a smart move, especially as it pertains to that new version of Abyss that's coming out soon (I hope). ;)
NoName
-

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would having this in FireFox help when it already runs in the taskbar, so its visable anyways. However, i think a good FireFox Plugin would be to display the status of Abyss(ex: in the status bar have like a 'red' or 'green' dot for if Abyss is running right, and then have the uptime there and you could click it to bring up the console... I think anybody with programming knowledge could do this. I currently use a few plugins for FireFox that display in the status bar(one is a Gmail Alert and another is a Weather Plugin to display icons of my weather, ex: storms, rain, sunny, etc, and my fav plugin lets me run Winamp from the status bar, so i don't have to keep opening Winamp to change songs, i just hit there)...

If somebody from Aprelium has knowledge to do this, or i might talk to a few buddies who mess around with FireFox plugins and see what they can do... I would love to have the Abyss status and uptime in my status bar. Just to keep me alerted to things.