cant access my server...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aionxn
-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:18 am    Post subject: cant access my server... Reply with quote

ok i set everyting up. im using my server for files for my site. i make the links on my site to link to the files on my computer. when i click on them, they work fine, but when i get other people to do it, it doesnt work. how do i do this?? im not behind a firewall. i have two computers (including this one) connected to a hub and a adsl modem connects to this hub...PLEASE HELP! thanks
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
w_ashley
-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm not sure since I'm new to this application as well. My first guess is files need to be contained within the /htacess directory of something of the like. not sure itd be nice if I could check this out with a different ip.. how about using a proxy to test???

although I'm geussing if the files are in the HTaccess folder then you should be able other wise I'm geussing it may have to do with address asignment that is if your using windows you may be able to see k://webfiles/home/newfilething.htm however others cant access your loca l drive (normally) however in other programs I recall that they Will accept files outsid ethe root diectory however I'm not certain others can see the files.. chances are I wiill be testing via a proxy of some sort if I can find one so its not just this ip. however I'm still having local vs wan issues as 127 and 192 wiill read however putting the router assigned address to DMZ (which iin windows worked fine as requests from the router (WAN 64.. address) were transfered to requess from the 192 however it isnt happening with lynix and abyss and I'm not sure why. chances iare I'll post this in a seperate thread though I'm prlly gonna see about hosting the site all via one "server directory" anyway
senshi
-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: cant access my server... Reply with quote

aionxn wrote:
ok i set everyting up. im using my server for files for my site. i make the links on my site to link to the files on my computer. when i click on them, they work fine, but when i get other people to do it, it doesnt work. how do i do this?? im not behind a firewall. i have two computers (including this one) connected to a hub and a adsl modem connects to this hub...PLEASE HELP! thanks

You cannot just link to file on your computer, you have to either move all the files you want to serve up into the ROOT folder of the server OR start making virtual pathsts and aliases to those files in the server settings. Moving files is the easier option.

The reason you can access them is because your on the local machine, the server cannot serve up those files because none of them exist withinthe servers root but because your local, you get access to the LOCAL machine..
senshi
-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

w_ashley wrote:
hmm not sure since I'm new to this application as well. My first guess is files need to be contained within the /htacess directory of something of the like. not sure itd be nice if I could check this out with a different ip.. how about using a proxy to test???

although I'm geussing if the files are in the HTaccess folder then you should be able other wise I'm geussing it may have to do with address asignment that is if your using windows you may be able to see k://webfiles/home/newfilething.htm however others cant access your loca l drive (normally) however in other programs I recall that they Will accept files outsid ethe root diectory however I'm not certain others can see the files.. chances are I wiill be testing via a proxy of some sort if I can find one so its not just this ip. however I'm still having local vs wan issues as 127 and 192 wiill read however putting the router assigned address to DMZ (which iin windows worked fine as requests from the router (WAN 64.. address) were transfered to requess from the 192 however it isnt happening with lynix and abyss and I'm not sure why. chances iare I'll post this in a seperate thread though I'm prlly gonna see about hosting the site all via one "server directory" anyway

Your confusing but possibly your issue is a port forwarding issue in getting access to your server from the internet (remote user).

127.0.0.1 == locahost is the machine the server runs on
192.168.1.*** == the machines assigned IP by the router
***.***.***.*** == IP address assigned to the modem by ISP.

Simply dumping your machine into the DMZ is not exactly trouble shooting, it is one of those things that you just dont do unless your readily prepared to sacrifice that mcahine should someone hack it, thats the whole point of having a DMZ so you can run something often called a 'Honeypot' where a vunerable machine is place in peril soley to thwart hackers and wanna be hackers.

It takes about 5 minutes to configure a router, less time if your old hat at it.
aionxn
-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats the root folder? i have all the files i wanted to link in

Code:
C:\Program Files\Abyss Web Server\htdocs

here is my configuration:

modem>hub
>computer 1
>computer 2
aionxn
-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it because of my ISP or my hub? maybe my adsl modem? or...my network configurations? PLEASE HELP ME! I REALLY NEED HELP! i tried lots of other server programs and they dont work.
senshi
-

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check your HTML code to see what the link info says.

the link info should be relative links and no links should be seen that begin 'file:c:\[file_path]' for example.

if the links are relative to the site, your links will look like...

<a href="downloads/archive.zip" target="_self">click me to download</a>

and NOT!
<a href="file://C:\Program Files\Abyss Web Server\htdocs\downloads\archive.zip" target="_self">click me to download</a>

or similar, so double check, this is a comon fault when people make a page in dreamweaver and dont save the page before adding links and making links to site resources, always save a blank page to start with so that any data you add to the HTML code will produce relative links to the site root and not links to the local machine.

Last edited by senshi on Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:34 am; edited 1 time in total
aionxn
-

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the links are...

Code:
<a href="http://207.81.167.232/music/kpop/boa/myname/12%20Feel%20Me.mp3">Download  Now!</a>

HELP!
senshi
-

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<a href="/music/kpop/boa/myname/12%20Feel%20Me.mp3">Download Now!</a>

or

<a href="music/kpop/boa/myname/12%20Feel%20Me.mp3">Download Now!</a>

should be the link to your site as you dont need the network URL, your link is RELATIVE to the ROOT path of the server

IF your server refuse to work correctly you may need to rename the MP3 file so that theirs no spaces included, replace spaces in the file name with '_'s and make the changes in the links to match

<a href="music/kpop/boa/myname/12_Feel_Me.mp3">Download Now!</a>

as the %20 is the hex for " " a space character, in most servers a space will cause issues in servers, by using the underscore symbol to replace spaces, your removing a common fault in file naming.
aionxn
-

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm ok but the files arent located on the sites server. the files are on my computer and the site is located on a different server. if i do that then it wont work because the files arent even on the sites server. do you understand what im trying to say?
aionxn
-

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HELP! would changin the port number help? what port number should i change to? my isp said they dont allow servers to run on my computers..
thehybridpyro
-

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey huys, my ISP earthlink allows serversand says thay allow other ports but it still doesnt work it says that "the website is currrently unavaliable" I dont know what the porb is can a dude get some help,
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
senshi
-

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK

you may well be best to run the server on anothwer port and access the images using the URL + port number,

http://theURLorDNS:portNumber/file/path/to/file.ext

When I ran a mail server, the internal reference I had to use was the machines IP address and the port to connect to was 8080, this was to avoid clashing with the webserver running on port 80 but in your case the port 80 is on another machine on another network (IM assuming thats what you meant).

You also need the remote servers machine to allow your access in the firewall if any is running, adding you as a trusted network or IP address will smooth over the issue of connecting.
Olliecollie
-

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aionxn wrote:
HELP! would changin the port number help? what port number should i change to? my isp said they dont allow servers to run on my computers..

You have to config your router or modem to set open the ports your server needed,,, and it's easier to set all files on the abyss server including the html files!!!!!
aionxn
-

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do i configure my modem?...its a adsl modem and i cant do anything to it lol. is there a problem i can download to change the settings? and the hub...its really nothing just grants access to the internet to my computer...
k1ll3rdr4g0n
-

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You dont touch your modem just your router....it probably blocks ports.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: