Taint mode

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stumped

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 5:05 pm    Post subject: Taint mode Reply with quote

I've tried unsuccessfully to use the taint mode with scripts by adding -T to the shebang line and including regular expressions to untaint incoming data. The scripts fail and I have a message in the error log that it's "too late for -T option." Do the cgi parameters need to be set differently or is there some other solution? Thanks...
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Taint mode Reply with quote

Stumped wrote:
I've tried unsuccessfully to use the taint mode with scripts by adding -T to the shebang line and including regular expressions to untaint incoming data. The scripts fail and I have a message in the error log that it's "too late for -T option." Do the cgi parameters need to be set differently or is there some other solution? Thanks...

What system are you using (Linux/Windows) ?
Second how do you have CGI set up ? Do you have Perl associated to an extension ? Or do it rely entirely on the #! line ?
We've found an FAQ about the taint mode which may help at http://gunther.web66.com/FAQS/taintmode.html .
stumped

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 5:36 am    Post subject: RE: Taint Mode Reply with quote

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I had read the Gunther article, but missed the answer. All I had to do was change the shebang line to read as follows:

#!c:\per\bin\perl.exe -T

C is where I have PERL installed on my system. By the way, I have Windows OS. Also, it appears that I didn't need to change CGI parameter settings to "resolve interpreter using script's #! line." I left the setting at NO and taint mode seems to work fine with only the above change to the shebang line. Thank you so much!!
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Taint Mode Reply with quote

stumped wrote:
Thank you so much!!

DLashley
-

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 7:18 am    Post subject: Error Messages in "cgi.log"! Reply with quote

I tried setting up one of my scripts in "taint mode" by adding the path to Perl with the -T after it on the first line of the script, but it didn't work. I accessed the cgi.log, and got this error message:

Code:

Can't locate DBI.pm in @INC (@INC contains: C:/Perl/lib C:/Perl/site/lib .) at mysql_setpermission.pl line 27.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at mysql_setpermission.pl line 27.
Can't locate DBI.pm in @INC (@INC contains: C:/Perl/lib C:/Perl/site/lib .) at mysql_setpermission.pl line 27.
Too late for "-T" option at gm.pl line 1.

What does this mean, and how can I fix it??? :(

Please help. Thanks in advance!
-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Error Messages in "cgi.log"! Reply with quote

DLashley wrote:
I tried setting up one of my scripts in "taint mode" by adding the path to Perl with the -T after it on the first line of the script, but it didn't work. I accessed the cgi.log, and got this error message:

Code:

What does this mean, and how can I fix it??? :(

Please help. Thanks in advance!

The workaround is already described above. Just be sure that Abyss Web Server uses the #! line to resolve the interpreter of the script (See the CGI Parameters.)
DLashley
-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think the error message is saying that I've got to install this Perl module (DBI.pm) into either of the 2 locations mention above to stop getting that error message, right? :?

Please confirm if I'm right, and I promise to stop bothering you. lol.

I already have my CGI Parameters setup to resolve scripts with the #! line in the script, and my path to Perl is set to "#!C:\Perl\bin\perl.exe" - which is correct.

Thank you so much for helping me! :D
-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: I did some more reading, and found out that ActiveState Perl comes with PPM (Perl Package Manager). I ran "ppm.bat" and it started PPM for me in a DOS window. I then used the command:

install dbi

install dbi y/n? y

It then connected to the Internet, downloaded and installed DBI.pm for me, and guess what??? NO more error messages in my cgi.log! I'll try using the -T (Taint mode) again later on. I've gotta force myself to get offa this thing and go eat now. lol

Not bad for a newbie, huh? :mrgreen:
-

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DLashley wrote:
Update: I did some more reading, and found out that ActiveState Perl comes with PPM (Perl Package Manager). I ran "ppm.bat" and it started PPM for me in a DOS window. I then used the command:

install dbi

install dbi y/n? y

It then connected to the Internet, downloaded and installed DBI.pm for me, and guess what??? NO more error messages in my cgi.log! I'll try using the -T (Taint mode) again later on. I've gotta force myself to get offa this thing and go eat now. lol

Not bad for a newbie, huh? :mrgreen:

Not bad... You are doing what some programmers call "try and learn"... :D
DLashley
-

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure am. lol.

Well, I've managed to get Abyss, Perl, PHP, and MySQL up and running error-free, but even though phpMyAdmin isn't giving me any error messages any more, I tried to install this PHP/MySQL script last night, and got a bunch of error messages on the output page. lol.

The error messages I got lead me to believe that I don't have either my phpMyAdmin configuration file or the MySQL configuration file setup correctly. It's got to be one or both of them.

Oh well, back to the drawing board... :?
-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:50 am    Post subject: having problems with -T Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm getting the "too late for -t option" error as well. I changed the shebang line to #!C:\Perl\bin\perl.exe which is right for my path and tried changing the abyss config to use the first line as the interpreter path but I'm still getting that error. (If I take out the -T there's no errors.) Is there something I've missed?

Thanks a lot
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Perl All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: