Domain forwarding problem.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LEVIATHANRAN
-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:47 am    Post subject: Domain forwarding problem. Reply with quote

Okay i recently purchased a .co.uk domain name, and they support url forwarding,

my old web addy was http://mysite.no-ip.com

i then bought www.mysite.co.uk and told the url to re-direct to my ip address, which all works fine.

but when i try and type in a url that has a / directory while using my .co.uk url, i get error 404 :\

Examples...

http://mysite.no-ip.com/downloads/

Works fine, but

http://www.mysite.co.uk/downloads/ gives me error 404 :(

Is there anyway i can get my new www.mysite.co.uk to work like my old no-ip one did? and still use my abyys web server?

in other wordsd i want to be able to access sub-directorys with my new .co.uk url, like i could with no-ip.

sorry if this has been asked before but its 4am and im tired and i want an answer quick lol :)

Hope iv made it clear what i want to do lol
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is, when you use URL forwarding, it only uses a frame to load your website in. mysite.co.uk does not actually reside on your server, it resides on the registrar's server. If you would like to set up your domain as you did your No-IP domain (using true DNS), you will need to use ZoneEdit or something similar. Do you have a dynamic IP? You will need to download one a ZoneEdit supported client to keep your IP updated. www.zoneedit.com has all the resources and tutorials you need to get it working.
-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All that is way confusing, and they charge you if you excede bandwidth limits, :( isnt there any other way i can do it? trhat wont result in me having to more money?
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, you will never exceed your bandwidth limit. DNS requests only take a couple KBs, and you get plenty of bandwidth (200MB per year). "A typical site uses 5 MB per year of DNS bandwidth."

Once you have signed up for ZoneEdit, replace your nameservers with the ones given to you in your domain name control panel (in your registrar's home page). Then, add a new "A" record, and associate yourdomain.co.uk and www.yourdomain.co.uk with your IP address. Then, after a couple of days, it should work.
-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zoneedit does work very well, after cancelling my original DNS it took two days for thier DNS servers to get me switched over, but thats exactly what they said it would take. Since then I have had no problems at all and no I dont expect to ever exceed the DNS bandwidth limit, I highly recommend this if you do not have a static IP.

Beamin1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: