How to check for firewalls/ proxies?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
omega
-

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:33 am    Post subject: How to check for firewalls/ proxies? Reply with quote

Hello, all. I'm running AWS, one of my "online friends" helped me set it up, and it works perfectly for me, through I.P. Adress, and localhost. I've set up the forwarding setting on my Linksys to port 80 to 80, both Protocols checked, with the IP adress being 192.168.1.101 which I got from ipconfig. All my settings are what they're supposed to be, it works fine for me, but not for anyone else. Since everything on my router and server seems to be in order, this leads me to conclude that I must have a firewall or proxy that I don't know about. I haven't installed any, but I beleive Windows XP (my OS) has a built in one. Is there any way to check and disable these?

Or, Cliff's notes, lol:
-----------
IP: 141.154.81.32
Network: Linksys
Problem: Noone else can access my site, how do I check for firewalls and proxies on Windows XP?
All router settings fixed: Yes.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A picture's worth a thousand words, so here you go :

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/icf.mspx

That's how to turn the firewall on - obviously if you go through that guide and just untick the final box (or just check it isn't ticked) that will turn it off.

However, although it could be the Windows firewall, it's more likely that your ISP is blocking port 80. Have you tried running Abyss (and forwarding) on a different port ?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
omega
-

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm... well, that box was unchecked so it's not the XP firewall, and I know I didn't install any other ones for sure. My ISP is Verizon... I don't know if they let you host or not. Any reccomendations to find out? Also, when changing the ports for testing purposes, would I change both to be same, so like 200 to 200, or go 200 to 80 ? Also, what are the 'special' ports? I'm beginning to think 81 is a 'special' port- when I use 81 to 80 localhost/ and my i.p. redirect to my network config page. (I haven't asked anyone else to try to visit my i.p. then for security reaons)
-

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've seen, Verizon block port 80 in some areas and not in others. Bit of a lottery... There's no real way to tell without asking your ISP, who probably won't be too forthcoming if they have a TOS which disallows webservers. I'd just change the port, anything over 1024 and less than 65535 is pretty unlikely to have problems, although it is less memorable. Avoid 3128/8080 as these are proxy/cache ports.

If you're using port forwarding, you don't need to change the port on Abyss, just the port that is being forwarded from your router to Abyss, so as you say you could do 200->80. This has caused me a few problems with older versions of Abyss, but none recently. However, I still change the port on both just to be sure :)

When you try and test your site yourself, if you type in your internet IP, 9/10 times it will either fail or you will get your router config page. This is because most home routers cannot handle loopback - ie you trying to access your own router by it's external IP from the internal side of the router. You need to use a web proxy site to check whether you've set it up correctly instead, or ask someone else to check it for you.
omega
-

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I changed it to 1024 to 1024, and now when I visit it, I get my router config page, every time, but since my localhost does work, I just want to see if it works for anyone else, but noone's online; do you know any web proxy sites I could use? I googled it, but the first few results were either dead, or not at all what I'm looking for. Thanks for your help, so far & in advance.
-

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://proxify.com/

You will have to append the port number to your requests. Don't worry if your images appear broken - it seems to have problems realising it needs to get the images on a different port as well, but it's good enough to check your site is up :)

You can also use

http://www.thinkhost.com/services/generators/headers-check.shtml

This won't return the page, just the headers returned by Abyss if the site manages to connect to you. As long as you see Abyss in what's returned, you know your site is working...
omega
-

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Couldn't connect to 68.162.245.222:1024: Connection refused - Proxify

Quote:
Error has been occured during opening 68.162.245.222:1024. - Headers Check

Ugh. I guess it still doesn't work. "Connection refused", though- so I guess it can find my comp, but can't access it. So, Abyss is running fine at least, and my router is set up correctly, it's something else, like my ISP or a firewall/ proxy I don't know about... is that correct? I'm mainly throwing around buzzwords here. [/quote]
-

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, try a higher port number, 32145 etc, just to be certain. If you do that and it's still not working, either you have your forwarding set up wrong, or the IP you are using is wrong. Where are you finding your IP from ? If it's an online checker, it may be that your ISP has a transparent browser proxy (ie you don't type anything into the browser options in IE, it just gets routed through their proxy automagically) and it is giving you the IP of that instead.
eznetlinks
-

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

omega wrote:
Hm... well, that box was unchecked so it's not the XP firewall,

The box must be checked to allow http requests.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
omega
-

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I use FireFox, but I doubt that matters. I'm getting my I.P. from whatismyip.com. And when I visit it under certain settings, it works for me. I think I have a dynamic IP that changes everytime my router is turned off/on, but I don't know about having a "transparent browser proxy"- any way to test this? As for Eznetlinks- I don 't know what that means but I have no troubles browsing...
-

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you did or not, but it was mentioned that you don't necessarily have to change the port for Abyss. If you did this, then your website will not work. Linksys routers do not have the option to forward an external port to a different internal port. You must change the port in the Abyss console to 1024 if you have forwarded 1024 in your router. Then try your website again.

Also, Linksys routers do allow loopback, so you won't have any trouble typing in your IP into your browser.
-

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I didn't know that, but I just changed the port to 1024 under Abyss Server configurations. I still get errors from header-check ("Error has been occured during opening http://68.162.245.222"), proxify doesn't load at all when I try and "Proxify" it, and it won't load at all for me anymore.

EDIT: YES! It now works under http://68.162.245.222:1024/, according to proxify!!! I think I'm up and running. Thanks so much, everyone! :D
-

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it does work.
-

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh. Thanks again, people. I'm off to register with no-ip.com. P33sh, and thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: