Making scripts work

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adavidfrazier
-

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 2:14 pm    Post subject: Making scripts work Reply with quote

I have set Abyss Webserver up on my PC in order to test scripts on my website before uploading them to my ISP's server. However, despite following all of the installation instructions to the letter, I cannot get them to work.

For example, if you type www.smokin-joe.co.uk/index.html into your browser, the page redirects to a perl script that works properly.

On my computer I have a complete copy of my website on drive D: and Abyss set up on drive C:, I have set the documents path of Abyss to the relevant location and typing localhost into my browser gives me the proper page. Typing localhost/index.html returns a blank page, the initial index.html redirects to the script but it just shows a blank page instead of working properly. I have tried setting an alias for the cgi-bin to the scripts directory on drive D: but this doesn't work either.

Any suggestions? :?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Making scripts work Reply with quote

adavidfrazier wrote:
I have set Abyss Webserver up on my PC in order to test scripts on my website before uploading them to my ISP's server. However, despite following all of the installation instructions to the letter, I cannot get them to work.

For example, if you type www.smokin-joe.co.uk/index.html into your browser, the page redirects to a perl script that works properly.

On my computer I have a complete copy of my website on drive D: and Abyss set up on drive C:, I have set the documents path of Abyss to the relevant location and typing localhost into my browser gives me the proper page. Typing localhost/index.html returns a blank page, the initial index.html redirects to the script but it just shows a blank page instead of working properly. I have tried setting an alias for the cgi-bin to the scripts directory on drive D: but this doesn't work either.

Any suggestions? :?

This is not clear enough to give you a suggestion. Have you tried inoking the script locally directly (i.e. typing in the browser http://127.0.0.1/cgi-bin/myscript.pl for example) ? Have you checked that Perl is correctly installed as described in http://www.aprelium.com/abyssws/perl.html ? Have you tested a simple Perl script to see if it works properly ?
adavidfrazier
-

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I put a simple script in the directory C:\Program Files\Abyss WebServer\cgi-bin\ it works.

I have installed Perl as instructed on this site.

Could it be because the webserver is on drive c: while the script and all of its related files are on drive d: ? The server is in the directory C:\Program Files\Abyss WebServer\ while the script is at D:\Documents\HTML\website\scripts\
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adavidfrazier wrote:
If I put a simple script in the directory C:\Program Files\Abyss WebServer\cgi-bin\ it works.

I have installed Perl as instructed on this site.

Could it be because the webserver is on drive c: while the script and all of its related files are on drive d: ? The server is in the directory C:\Program Files\Abyss WebServer\ while the script is at D:\Documents\HTML\website\scripts\

Yes, this is that. The web server will only serve files in the htdocs folder and in the aliased folders (see Aliases in the console).
So add an alias to you D:\Documents\HTML\website\scripts directory or just copy the script in the cgi-bin or htdocs directory.
(By the way, this how web servers work, they will not go and serve what you don't tell them to serve. This is security)
adavidfrazier
-

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had set an alias, but it still doesn't work.

I think it may actually be the script that is the problem, I tried a test script on the D: drive and it worked.

The cgi.log has the following line:
Can't locate cfg.pl in @INC (@INC contains: C:/Perl/lib C:/Perl/site/lib .) at index.pl line 12.

line 12 of index.pl says:
require "cfg.pl";

cfg.pl is another file in the same directory as the script

Any idea where I find @INC so that I can edit it?
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adavidfrazier wrote:
I had set an alias, but it still doesn't work.

I think it may actually be the script that is the problem, I tried a test script on the D: drive and it worked.

The cgi.log has the following line:
Can't locate cfg.pl in @INC (@INC contains: C:/Perl/lib C:/Perl/site/lib .) at index.pl line 12.

line 12 of index.pl says:
require "cfg.pl";

cfg.pl is another file in the same directory as the script

Any idea where I find @INC so that I can edit it?

There is obviously and error in your Perl script. You should put the entire path to cfg.pl in the require statement.
@INC is a special array in Perl that contain the directories it looks in for a required file. See Perl documentation to know more about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Perl All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: