Server Won't Resolve Without "www"?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NetWerkz
-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:14 am    Post subject: Server Won't Resolve Without "www"? Reply with quote

My domain will not resolve without adding a "www". I have my hostname configured correctly (sub-domains work), but I'm still being told the server must be set to allow this. Any insight?

TIA!
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
masa
-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"www" is not really neccesary but sometimes it might block requests without www and thats rare and tell me your website i will test and also sign up in my forums!! don't forget it!
-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.yoursite.com is also a subdomain. It is normal for the www.yoursite.com subdomain and the yoursite.com to work. If you have other subdomains working, also set up a www. subdomain and point it to your main host.

Masa, stop spamming your damn forum/website. When it's worth visiting, people will visit.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
NetWerkz
-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject: Server Won't Resolve Without "www"? Reply with quote

Oh my ("Cain't we all jess git along?"). Help me reclaim the focus...

Specifically, CEI.cc does not work but www.CEI.cc does

Could it be the funky TLD? It worked fine with the previous server, BRS...
NetWerkz
-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx Masa for the tip on excluding the "http://" on the domain forwarding. Apparently the registrar adds this part automatically. Nevertheless, since updating to point to the IP address alone, the problem persists. Maybe the DNS doesn't instantly update. Hmmm....
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, read your question backwards and thought it would resolve without www. and not with :/

Could be that your DNS hasn't updated yet, but :

>nslookup www.cei.cc

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: www.cei.cc
Address: 64.36.33.226

>nslookup cei.cc
Name: cei.cc
Addresses: 66.150.161.140, 69.25.27.173, 69.25.27.172, 69.25.27.170
66.150.161.133, 66.150.161.135, 64.36.33.226, 69.25.27.171

It looks like your www.cei.cc name is correctly pointed to a single server you are hosting on, but your cei.cc points to a whole bank of servers ?

Typing http://64.36.33.226 does take you directly to your website, the others give URL forwarding errors.

You need to update something somewhere, but without knowing who you're hosted with or what you're using to control your domain name, I can't really add anything more.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
NetWerkz
-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is bizarre. None of those 'sans www' IP addys look familiar. I wonder if this is an isolated problem exclusive to our domain or if anybody else has had a similar issue. Meanwhile, I'm contacting the registrar with this info to see if there is some quirk on their end....

Thanks a bunch!
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A record for www.cei.cc is just the same as setting the root DNS record (for plain cei.cc). If the root doesn't work, then you obviously haven't properly set up a correct DNS Record. What do you use to manage your DNS? Can you send us a screen shot of how you have it set up?
-

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well with a little time, it seems the DNS has updated and our problem is resolved. The root domain now points to the IP as directed. Thanks again to masa for the simple but astute observation from Hong Kong regarding removing the automatic "http://".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: