PC always on

View previous topic :: View next topic  
photobank
-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:59 am    Post subject: PC always on Reply with quote

I like to set up a server always on on my PC.
Anybody knows if a "windows" is better than another for this task?
Could I use Perl to find out if anybody is connected and then do a "restart"
using system() every, say, 10 hours?
Thank you_Alberto
-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean "a windows?"

Are you saying make a perl script to check if you have any active connections, and if no one is connected, restart your machine?
-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:29 am    Post subject: PC always on Reply with quote

Which version of Windows is best to use (memory errors): Windows 98 , Windows XP, window 2000, NT....
Yes, a Perl script capable to restart (reset ) if nobody logged.
Thank you
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any NT-based Windows would be ideal (NT, 2000, XP, 2003).
-

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have installed Windows 2000 and Abyss server (snobbing IIS!) .
Is any way to disable Windows from asking me Administrator password every time I start it? (security is totally irrelevant to my system).
Any time there is a power failure (night time!) the system will not be able to complete re-boot . This is a blow to my 24 hours always on server ..
Any help?
Thank you -Alberto
-

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, remove the Administrator password completely. See if it logs on by itself. If that doesn't work, try this: Go to Start>Run>Type "control userpasswords2">Uncheck "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer." If that doesn't work, then try removing all user acccounts and trying it.
-

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you haven't already started following that advice.

Removing the Administrator password will *NOT* make the system logon by itself. It just means you have to type nothing into the password box and hit return. DO NOT LEAVE IT WITH A BLANK ADMINISTRATOR PASSWORD.

I know security is irrelevant to you but I am assuming you meant irrelevant locally not remotely, ie it's in your room and no-one else touches it. If you connect to the net with a blank administrator password and have any services open to the world, you're going to get a nasty suprise. Or ten.

Removing your user accounts will also have no effect on the logon screen, it just means you'll have no one to log on as other than the Administrator since it won't let you delete every account *sigh*

You can either install TweakUI from Microsoft and enter the Administrator plus password into the logon tab of the TweakUI control panel under "Log On Automatically At System Startup" or open the "Users and Passwords" options from the control panel, untick "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer."
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just following what he is saying: if security is irrelevant, then that is his problem. Besides, if you only have port 80 open, does it really matter if you have a password or not?

Also, I don't know what sort of systems you work on, but I have seen many systems that log on automatically due to no reason not to log on.
-

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't know if he only has port 80 open though, so you should assume the worst possible scenario. Advising someone who just has DSL modem access to the net (ie no router/firewall) to remove all administrative passwords is madness.

I work on business and educational systems. Having a system that logs on automatically in a bank, office or college where sensitive information could be exposed to anyone who wanders past a machine is not an option. Obviously if you have a small business with 2 machines in a P2P network, it is a different matter.
photobank
-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TweakUI : that did it!!...(did not even know it exists!)
System boots without stopping now.
Thank you guys!
Alberto
-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject: Linux is the answer Reply with quote

If you are gonna run a server without a reboot, you really want to look into linux. Some good ones are-

Fedora Core- www.fedora.redhat.com
Slackware-www.slackware.org
SuSE-www.suse.com

Abyss and many other servers are availible for linux. Plus you can't recieve a lawsuite for copying linux and say giving a copy to your friend. Actually, you can have people download it off your website. Just read the redistribution part of the license.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
photobank
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in trouble again.
Windows 2000. master HD 120 GB. Slave 200GB. I am loading the slave when suddenly system slows down and almost hangs. Restart and got into the blue screen which is saying that's imperative I run scandisk. Before I read the lot the thing starts and FIX the troubles putting names like file0001, file0002 to a bunch of files. I had reached almost 20,000 before the catastroph...
It is the second time! And this time I have tried NTFS too!
Now windows reports space available at 120 GB (half).
I would not mind to partition the disk, but I want my GB back and do not know how to do it.
Desperate. Any help?
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-partition (I suggest PartitionMagic) the 200GB hard drive as NTFS. You should get all the space back (but you won't get the data back).
-

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

photobank wrote:
I have installed Windows 2000 and Abyss server (snobbing IIS!) .
Is any way to disable Windows from asking me Administrator password every time I start it? (security is totally irrelevant to my system).
Any time there is a power failure (night time!) the system will not be able to complete re-boot . This is a blow to my 24 hours always on server ..
Any help?
Thank you -Alberto

Code:
another easy idea..spend 80 bucks or so for a UPS and your system will never shut down due to thunderstorms or momentary power outages. (and if helps protect you pc from damage as well)
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have two problem - Login after reboot and Power failure.

Since it seem the first problem is resolve. I will skip this part.

Power outage - you will need a Power generator or a UPS.
With Power Generator, you can either connect to your whole household or to your particular area. You will need to have a generator have a auto detection that attach to your outlet for power drop to auto turn. Check with your appliance vendor like Sears if they have such a model. Or just have a UPS that will do the same thing but cost less. Normally with just a small PC for a webserver, UPS should be fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: