web hosting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjs1950
-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:42 am    Post subject: web hosting Reply with quote

i am in the works of starting a web design company and i ideally want to provide hosting services too on my own server running abyss....

i use a javascript code that i found to direct users to a differnet folder based on the url they entered...this lets me serve as many websites as i want with one IP address...

i currently have a cable modem connection andi already have 4 websites to host...and my questions is this....

i like the fact that i have my own server and i control everything...but i will eventually run into bandwidth issues.

my question is can i buy an affordable business type connection to resolve my bandwidth issues or would i be better going with a web hosting service and if there is a service is it fisable to run many websites off one IP address?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on how you look at it. You can get cheap web hosting for $3 a month that comes with redundant T3 internet connections. However, with a Web Hosting company, you will not have the power and flexibility you have with hosting your own server with Abyss. When it comes to a good Internet line, I saw a good 768 Upstream DSL line for $80/month which would solve all your bandwidth problems. So the choice is, which do you want? Professional Hosting is cheaper, but hosting it yourself awards more flexibility (and responsibility) despite the cost.

Also, some Professional Hosting companies do not allow you to host other websites on your account.
-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: I think cable is good enough Reply with quote

Cable is good enough, such as mine gives me 3Mbps, and I never have any problems. If you start to make a lot of money though, and when you have mabye 100 people on your web hosting service, you might want to get a T1 Connection.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: I think cable is good enough Reply with quote

JCdude2525 wrote:
Cable is good enough, such as mine gives me 3Mbps

Upstream bandwidth? I doubt it, unless you have an extremely generous cable provider and/or uncapped your modem (which still probably wouldn't give you 3Mbps upstream).

But if you truly do, then who is your cable provider? (I might think about switching)...
-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:30 pm    Post subject: nah that's downstream most likley Reply with quote

No, I think thats downstream. But I don't really look at it, I just remeber prolog telling me that I had a 3 Mbit connection now. I'll take a look at it. But overall prolog is a good ISP, they give cable and dial-up, so that if the cable's out you can connect with dial-up. Just they block port 80, and 21, and all the standard server ports. But you still can use otherports(Like I use ports 25000-25025 for my servers). Prolog is in PA, they are with PenTeleData(www.ptd.net).
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JCdude2525
-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:49 pm    Post subject: So says prolog Reply with quote

Yea, I think it is 3 Mbps. Because it says on the page this-

"...to carry data, video and audio to and from your computer at speeds up to 3 Mbps. The result is a..."

Keywords there- up to. So, it might not get to that speed at most times. But, I can download a 650 MB ISO image in about an hour on a week day!

But prolog is generous. They throw in 5 POP email addresses and 20 MB FTP storage for a site, witch I just use for data backup :-D. They let you use VPN's. Plus they say that running servers can get you kicked off the service, but I don't think they really watch for it, cause I've been running a web server for about a year, even though now no one goes to it because I'm working on it. But if your in PA take a look at it.

http://www.ptd.net/services/pecable.html
Puckey
-

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want guyz I can get you all a .com, .net etc... FREE Domain...

SmartSoft Corp.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
TRUSTAbyss
-

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if its a .com Top Level Domain , I want phpsurfer.com
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
k1ll3rdr4g0n
-

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he left becaue i emailed him and he never responded back, but if your still here Puckey email me at killerdragon@thatgamingsite.mine.nu =).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry all, its me puckey here... ppl im on vacation lol...
As soon as I get to the company I solve paperwork and try to get you the domains...

Best Regards
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
k1ll3rdr4g0n
-

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense and have fune :), if your wondering i would like thatgamingsite.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puckey wrote:
Sorry all, its me puckey here... ppl im on vacation lol...
As soon as I get to the company I solve paperwork and try to get you the domains...

Best Regards

if you CAN get them for free i wouldnt mind the-woody.net ..

thnx woody
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: