usb vs ethernet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmc
-

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: usb vs ethernet Reply with quote

Hey all! Hope you can help!
I set up a small site for a buddy's bike club (http://www.borderwings.co.uk) and I'm hosting it on my box... using Abyss of course! Recently my ethernet card went kablooie, so I've temporarily switched over to using a usb connection to the cable modem. This meant changing the i.p. settings throughout the site (it's basically phpbb2 and coppermine gallery "linked" together) and also resetting the domain re-direct. Problem is, I'm now getting loads of reports that they either can't access the site... actually they get timed out when clicking through the html splash page to the php forums etc... or the site runs very slow.
So, I was wondering, is usb a bad idea for speed vs ethernet card?
Any other suggestions for where I may have bollixed the thing up will be gratefully received.
Cheers,
John Mc
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Moxxnixx
-

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USB puts a heavier load on the CPU then ethernet does, but there shouldn't
be a difference in your internet connection speed. Only noticable change
would be network speed. Did any of your TCP/IP settings get changed?

IMO, just spend the 10 to 15 bucks for a NIC and forget USB.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
jmc
-

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Moxxnixx.
That's just what I intend to do... as soon as I get some time off work!
OK... maybe it's time for a bit of Webserver 101 here... I confess that once I got Abyss up and running, I sorta stopped learning right there!
I'm not sure what you mean about the TCP/IP settings being changed. I had noticed that in ZoneAlarm, the IP's quoted for the original (dead) card and the new usb connection were different, and have amended phpbb2 and cpg to reflect the new IP's where necessary. However, when I open up the mysqladmin tool, it still reports the "Local IP Address" as that of the dead card. Could this be part of (or the whole) problem? If so, how do I change that setting? Re-install mysql? I can't see any method of editing the IP address in the tool itself.
Sorry for being such a dumb-ass, but I really appreciate your help!
John Mc
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically speaking, USB and Ethernet can be faster/slower than each other.

At USB1.1 compared to Ethernet 10/100 (operating at 100), USB transfers around 12Mbps, as Ethernet would be 100Mbps. However, using USB 2.0, the speeds are supposed to go up to 460Mbps, as Ethernet is still at 100Mbps. Since these are only in your LAN anyway, they will make a small mark in performance outside your LAN.

As to the Ethernet settings, go into "My Network Places>Network Connections" and hit "Properties" on your selected internet connection. You may need to change it to use a DHCP server if it isn't, or turn it off if it is; it really depends on your network set up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: