how long does it take for evryone to see your website.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
garyanderson
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: how long does it take for evryone to see your website. Reply with quote

I guess the title asks my question. I was just wondering because some ppl can see my website and some ppl couldn't see it. also i have a dynamic ip addy and i was wondering if everytime i take the server on or off if it would take awhile to "propegate" throughout the web. I've heard ppl using this term. what does it mean exactly?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My website loads pretty decent for me. If you want to test your own website, get a proxy server.

The definiton:
Propagate, v. tr.
To cause to extend to a broader area or larger number.

The idea here, is since the internet has no central server, it is basically a large P2P network. (I thought the word was "hierarchy," but I looked it up, and it didn't sound right). When your IP changes, the DNS Servers (the ones who associate Domain Name with IP) usually know right away. If someone visits your website right after your IP changes, it will usually work for them. If you visit your website before and after the change, it may or may not work. Sometimes, your computer keeps associating your Domain Name with the old IP. To fix this, either close your browser, restart your computer, or try typing "ipconfig -flushdns" at the command line.
-

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a lot for your response, i'll remember that next time.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: