Hosting a Name Server (Nothing Stupid so read)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TRUSTAbyss
-

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Hosting a Name Server (Nothing Stupid so read) Reply with quote

I was told on my webhost that you can host your own name servers and be like a service like ZoneEdit.com that way your in control of how your web
address is taking care of , luckily I have free DNS with my domain so I don't need ZoneEdit but it still costs alot more than GoDaddy.com , I pay $13.95 a yr (not too bad) and I would like to know if some of you forum
users would like to try out a few free DNS servers that I have found , if im not mistaking , owning your own DNS server will allow you to have more sub domains and more A pointings that you could ever imagine so please test these , no you cannot host your own your-site.com , you need to make them sub domains like sub.your-site.com

Free DNS Servers:

1. POSADIS (use version 0.50.9-3)
http://posadis.sourceforge.net

2. SANS (Easier to use) A posadis project

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please test all those out so we can host our own DNS , Screw ZoneEdit
if you get over a million hits in one yr , they may stop your free plan :(
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
demonhunter
-

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i register domains for $5 yearly so thats better than godaddy or any other hosts
Back to top View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
DLashley
-

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the server software you use has to support more than one domain, or else it wont work. Apache does, but Abyss doesn't... yet.

That might change in a new release or in the upcoming Pro version. One can hope, can't one? :wink:

There IS a workaround (the Multi-Site creator), but I haven't tried that yet, so I don't know if it works or not. I'm gonna try it this afternoon. I'll let you guys know how it works out.

P.S. The most important thing about choosing a DNS (if you're not running your own) is that the company is TRUSTWORTHY and that they have a RELIABLE service. I'd prefer to pay more for something I know will work, than less money for something that's iffy. I've been using Godaddy for a couple of years, and I love their service. I don't use it for DNS though. I just use it to register/administer my domains.
-

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave up on the stupid DNS thing !

Don't download it!
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
lchan
-

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyways, demonhunter, which dns host do you use for only $5 a year
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DNS can be a serious bitch to configure. ZoneEdit is a perfect way to go. Besides, if you're getting millions of hits, then you'll probably be able to afford your own IT department.

I rather appear on the show "Fear Factor" then attempt to configure BIND.
-

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have my own webhosting company so i can register domains that was $5 but ive increase the price for $8.95 through paypal if u want to order using a credit card its $16-19 dollars to register i am thinking of moving my company on to my computer using abyss once ive gotten my company up and running on a spare computer
Back to top View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: