Uploading databases...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mooseyfate
-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:33 am    Post subject: Uploading databases... Reply with quote

I made a database with the use of mySQL (the one which looks like an MS-DOS prompt). I want to upload it online (the webhost has cgi and mySQL support, so it's all configured). But I can't find what to upload. What/where do I find the database I created so that I can upload it? Is it in a .sql form? Can someone please enlighten me more about this?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
mcwilliams132
-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

typically you have to run MySQL as a server/serice on the web server or on a separate server on your network and connect to it via an ODBC/DSN.

There is no UPLOADING.

If you're not running your own server, you'll have to contact your hosting company on how to do that.

Otherwise, you just install MySQL (there is a GUI frontend for MySQL...you don't have to use the command prompt!), set it to run as a server, create your database, table, and feilds. Then create your System DSN's on the machine running the web server so you can connect to the database, and then create your connection scripts to connect and open and read from your database.
:: "Lobster sticks to magnet!"
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mooseyfate
-

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, thanks for the help. But does this mean that my server has to be up most of the time to so that people can access the database from the outside? (let's say so that they can fill up forms and their entry can be added to the database?)
mcwilliams132
-

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes...

If you want to have interactivity on your site and it requires a database...you'll need to be running a web server and a database server like MySQL. They can reside on the same box...but it needs to be running or errors will occur.
:: "Lobster sticks to magnet!"
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Uploading databases... Reply with quote

mooseyfate,

You can use PhpMyAdmin to do that. First, export all your database (or some tables) in a .sql text file. Next on your hosted web site, open PhpMyAdmin and select the destination database, an select the SQL tab. Press Browse and choose your .sql file. The file will be uploaded and processed and the database will be uploaded.
mooseyfate
-

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that should do it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: