how to create "log in" with different users

View previous topic :: View next topic  
noamkrief
-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 7:59 am    Post subject: how to create "log in" with different users Reply with quote

I need to know how to create user login like in hotmail.

In cases which i have around 5000 different users that will all have a username and password, how is this normally done?

Using the abyss web server built in "users access" might not be the best solution right?

Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to creat a login form that is built in to the actual webpage code instead of the webserver...

thanks alot
Noam
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Trix
-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really need somthing like that but i dont want to use the user access thing thats built into abyss bcoz everytime u change it it has to restart and i cnt use .htaccess coz im using windows :'( i would really like the solution to this :D
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trix wrote:
.. and i cnt use .htaccess coz im using windows :'(

You can't use .htaccess because you're using Abyss not Apache :lol:

Doing logins purely with Abyss, you could still generate the userlist with a script and then paste it into the Abyss configuration file rather than having to do them one at a time in the web menus. I think Aprelium would have to answer whether Abyss can handle 5,000 custom users though unless anyone's tried it.

http://www.aprelium.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2298 explains the encryption format. All you'd have to do is knock up a batch file / script to concate username:password and write out the md5sum to a file in the format used by Abyss then cut and paste it into the conf.

SSI using the username would allow you to direct users to the right homedirectory. I think you'd also have to script the access control for each custom directory you wanted to use too.
Trix
-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there anyway to do a basic member system were they sign up then abyss auto adds it to the usr list and then the person can access it with in a couple of mins? without any admin doing anything so its all automated? how would u do that?
TRUSTAbyss
-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Download a login script from

http://www.hotscripts.com
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
topniz
-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are looking for something reliable and not heavy for the server, get a look on mysql samples (on its site).

Using a database with php as a script language for authentifying users is commonly and safely used. Of course you could figure out some security issues, which may disturb and trouble you. But, i'm sure it is worth the try.

I do not have real references :oops:

By the way, this forum is built using phpBB which is based on mysql as a user database : do you think that we, users of the forum, are authentified through the web server? ... :roll:
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trix wrote:
is there anyway to do a basic member system were they sign up then abyss auto adds it to the usr list and then the person can access it with in a couple of mins? without any admin doing anything so its all automated? how would u do that?

Not just using Abyss and no scripting languages - Abyss only seems to read the .conf file where the users are stored when the server is started, so each additional member would need a server restart before they were recognised even if you wrote it directly to the conf file. As others have said, PHP/MySQL is probably one of the easiest routes.
noamkrief
-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i read alot about php and login forms and it all seems to make sense except the SQL database...

I understand that the userlist has to be stored in this SQL database.
Is SQL database have to run as a system service so that the php code can connect to it?

I downloaded mysql for windows and installed it but it makes no sense to me.

one of the sites showed me an SQL database

CREATE TABLE members (
id INT NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT PRIMARY KEY,
password VARCHAR(12) NOT NULL,
username VARCHAR(12) NOT NULL,
index(password),
index(username))

Where is all this code stored? what file? *.sql file? Non of the guides really explain where this code comes from and how i add users to it....
i hope someone can explain this to me
thanks
Noam
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Trix
-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm i can make a php script for members no prob its just that it wont protect the files in a folder if the person knows the full url so i need away so ppl just to see the dir even if they know the full url need a pass and i cnt find that :/
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a combination of an antileech script to prevent direct file access and stick and an index.html file that redirects them back to the login page...
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this link:
http://www.phpfreaks.com/tutorials/40/0.php

Or

http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/tim20000505.php3

Or

Try using a proxie-firewall software and enable MD5 encryption.
-

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noamkriff

For MySQL, try to read the tutorials furnished in the doc directory where you installed MySQL.

there are even tutorials using PHP and books to download from the net.

I don't have links for now... But i'll try to get them for you (try google.com searching "MySQL + tutorials + PHP"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: