2 PHP things 2 figure out

View previous topic :: View next topic  
senshi
-

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 2:08 am    Post subject: 2 PHP things 2 figure out Reply with quote

A couple of things...or 3!

Can anyone point me to an editor for PHP? and any resources where I can get a crash course for free??? Had a look at a PHP page in notepad, what language is it based around?

How do I get my regular html pages to serve up? The wont serve up while PHP is running, as soon as I kill PHP, they function perfectly, I need them as they are because I use the server as a test site before uploading to my web space, my ISP uses PHP for their site but we get standard html... So IM needing Abyss to beable to use PHP & serve up normal html with no editing, all I get is an error 'uable to locate resource' so as a temporary measure I have had to add to the aliases a root alias that points from / to /forum so when people access my server from general probes (as I am not live yet) they get the forum and not my web root contents or an error.

Tried to resolve it but as PHP is new to me, I was wondering on if this is normal or if normal html pages can bypass the PHP preprocessor.

Aprelium? Can a specific folder or path be sent to PHP and leave the rest of the site as normal?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
\Kritikal\
-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Editor: Probably one of the best but not well known editor was a software called Maguma Studio for PHP. It will handle other language as well, in the same floating droppy downy thingy that has all the functions and what not in them. Very slick. Check it out, do a google search for it.

Book: Visual QuickStart Guide: PHP for the World Wide Web (Peachpit Press).
This book is golden, and the other place for a lot of help: #php on irc.freenode.org (everyone moved over from openprojects). Always packed with good people willing to help you out for all php related questions. The server also has rooms for tons of other languages and apps. Only for opensource projects or not-for-profit orgs.

***REVISED***
Answer to Question: Go into the console and login, goto Server Configuration, then Advanced down left, then click on CGI Parameters, now for the CGI Paths, just add the folder you want, if you want to serve up php in all directories, or at least have the option, just add "/" to your CGI Paths. Just want www.domain.com/php/ to run the php, then add "/php". And SHAZAHM! Anyway, it's how mine is configured and I've never had a problem with it.
-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers

It appeard though that the other CGI program I had running was the cause of the problem, removed them and all is working well

Thanks for the pointes, will have a closer look when IM on the othe rmachine late, its a bit bust having a thorough virus scan which will tahe a few hours to complete...

L8rz
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
topniz
-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the editor, try Dev-php (i do use it and i'm happy with it)

If you're more adventurous : try PHPEdit (the latest version), it feature intelligent context coding (Visual Studio like) - be awared - it is a bit instable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> PHP All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: