It's so simple I'm snowed?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Onson
-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 5:00 am    Post subject: It's so simple I'm snowed? Reply with quote

PERL installed without a hitch. ABYSS looks great. Users can come right to the test web pages I set up, and can bounce between the pages via links with no problem.

Then I put a simple script into CGI-BIN called hello.pl as a test. Problem is, I don't have the faintest idea on how to call that script to do its thing on a web page. I mean, if I want it to run it on one page, and not another, there must be something I put on the web page?

Please don't send me to the configuration page again. I've been over that 100 times. If the problem lies there then I'm really snowed...
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: It's so simple I'm snowed? Reply with quote

Onson wrote:
PERL installed without a hitch. ABYSS looks great. Users can come right to the test web pages I set up, and can bounce between the pages via links with no problem.

Then I put a simple script into CGI-BIN called hello.pl as a test. Problem is, I don't have the faintest idea on how to call that script to do its thing on a web page. I mean, if I want it to run it on one page, and not another, there must be something I put on the web page?

Please don't send me to the configuration page again. I've been over that 100 times. If the problem lies there then I'm really snowed...

Onson, your problem is not with Abyss Web Server but it is rather with general HTML forms coding.

A small Perl tutorial:

* Create a file called hello.pl in the cgi-bin directory (located in Abyss Web Server Directory) and copy/paste the following in it:

Code:

use CGI;
$query = new CGI;

# set an appropriate From: address

$yourname = $query->param('name');

print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";
print <<"EOF";
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Hello</TITLE>
</HEAD>

<BODY>

<P>Hello $yourname</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
EOF

PS: Do not forget to put an extra line at the end of the file.

Your HTML file that will make this script run is to be saved as hi.html in your htdocs directory (located in the Abyss Web Server directory). Copy/paste the following in hi.html :

Code:

<HTML>

<HEAD>
<TITLE>Perl test</TITLE>
</HEAD>

<BODY>

<FORM ACTION = "/cgi-bin/hello.pl" METHOD ="POST">

Your name : <INPUT TYPE="text" NAME="name" SIZE="20" VALUE="">
<BR>
<INPUT TYPE="submit" VALUE ="click here">

</FORM>

</BODY>

</HTML>

Now browse http://127.0.0.1/hi.html and play with the form.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> FastCGI/CGI All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: