SMTP Address For phpBB Forum using Argosoft Mail Server....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
os17fan
-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 5:32 am    Post subject: SMTP Address For phpBB Forum using Argosoft Mail Server.... Reply with quote

Hey I know what smtp is for the phpbb forum but I downloaded the mail server pro version of Argosoft and im trying to find out what Address I use so i can use it with the phpbb forum , can you please tell me what address to use for SMTP :?:
-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 6:42 am    Post subject: ..... Reply with quote

just put localhost in the address field in the admin console... make sure you set the server to default port 25 and have smtp enabled in your php.ini file.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
os17fan
-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't i have to create a local domain if i put localhost :?: , why can't i use smtp.offspringvideos.com or mail.offspringvideos.com
-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:38 pm    Post subject: no Reply with quote

no localhost points to your local machine there is no need (im sure you can do it though) for an actual url or ip address what smtp does with phpbb is allows the board to shoot emails out to registered users using your ISP email addy.

your php.ini file should have something like the following

[mail function]
; For Win32 only.
SMTP= localhost ; for Win32 only
smtp_port=25

; For Win32 only.
sendmail_from= you@yourisp.com; for Win32 only

then add localhost to the server field in the admin area
and add your email addy to match the one in your php.ini file.
os17fan
-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did exactly as you said for the localhost thing and it did not work , can you please explain how to do this step by step , thank , i included a screen shot of the error I got http://www.offspringvideos.com/mail_failed.jpg 8)

I set it up like:

[mail function]
; For Win32 only.
SMTP= localhost ; for Win32 only
I did not see the port thing in my php.ini

; For Win32 only.
sendmail_from= webmaster@offspringvideos.com; for Win32 only
-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you must add the port 25 in your ini file... copy it from above
os17fan
-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did and still nothing happens :?:
-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have your admin area setup like this
http://16.sytes.net:83/spec.gif

I also reccommend using 1st SMTP server instead of your current smtp server... I gave you instructions following my own install of the board php and smtp on my system.. if it doesnt work for you just tinker with it some it took me a few hours the first time around.
os17fan
-

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I think I found a way for you to help me fix my problem , I included 2 screen shots, the first one is my php.ini file and the second is my phpBB Admin area , if you just take a minute to look at these 2 pics you might solve my problem , and also do I need a mail server for this to work and one last thing , do I need to put a password for the SMTP server field

MY PHP.INI FILE:
http://www.offspringvideos.com/php_ini.jpg (114 KB)

My phpBB Admin Area:
http://www.offspringvideos.com/phpbb_admin.jpg (146 KB)

I KNOW FOR A FACT IF YOU STUDY THESE SCREEN SHOTS , YOU WILL SOLVE MY PROBLEM BECAUSE ITS ALL THERE. 8)
-

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 5:41 am    Post subject: what Reply with quote

what OS are you using? is it unix or windows?
if its on unix that may be the problem, Your php.ini and admin area are setup exactly the way mine is setup and my phpbb board works great
I actually run about 5 of them on the same machine using smtp
if you want you may also use your ISP's smtp server if they allow it you do not really need to run your own smtp server unless you really feel the need to do so. (ask your isp if they allow smtp use). also you may have some settings in your actual smtp server program set incorrectly.
os17fan
-

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Windows XP Home edition , can you please tell me if I need a password and mail server to use the SMTP feature , I haven't gotten a good response to my problem yet , please help me :(
-

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im running windows XP home and I am using 1st smtp server
you do not need a "mail" server at all smtp is a "relay" program
it says ok.... take this email address and use it to shoot out emails

Im not sure why yours is not working, I told you to set it up just as mine is setup. Maybe you have not setup your smtp server settings correctly. Other than that I have told you how to setup your php.ini file and your admin area for smtp ( the correct way ) I really hope that you can get this issue licked.

I use smtp server and its great, you can grab it from my server here
http://16.sytes.net:83/1st-SMTP-server.zip
be sure to create a directory in c:/program files/ named 1st smtp server then unzip all the files into that directory
os17fan
-

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I did get the out side smtp feature to work with forum@mydomain.com as SMTP but one last question , do I need to put a Password in the SMTP Field on my phpBB Admin area , other than that , I got my ouside SMTP to work , its not smtp.offspringvideos.com , I thought I had to put that instead I put offspringvideos.com for the SMTP Server

I JUST WANTED MY NAME TO SHOW UP ON THEIR E-MAILS AND NOT OTHER E-MAIL SERVICES , I USE Argosoft Mail Server Pro and its a good program to use

THANKS FOR YOUR WONDERFULL HELP ! 8)
-

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no the password is not needed really.... you can leave it blank and it will function just fine.

can you shoot me a link to your forum so I can sign up and check it out?
os17fan
-

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You already signed it for me lol :D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: