CGI With Visual Basic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WeissWelsh
-

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject: CGI With Visual Basic Reply with quote

Hello everyone.

I have a question concerning using a Visual Basic script.

I am currently using an outdated webserver (Sambar Server) and am looking for a new one to replace it. I was wondering if Abyss Webserver can do the following.....

I would like to be able to create an HTML page that can create dynamic content by running a visual basic exe file.

In my old server I was able to put in a line in my HTML that looked something like this:

RCWcgi-dir/announce.exe variable1 variable2 variable3

This would run my visual basic announce.exe file and send those varibles to it. The announce.exe file would run and return whatever I wanted to show on the webpage using the Print command in visual basic.

Is this possible with this server?

Thanks

Bob
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: CGI With Visual Basic Reply with quote

WeissWelsh

What you are requesting to do is possible using the XSSI directive. Please check <http://www.aprelium.com/data/doc/2/abyssws-win-doc-html/directives.html#AEN2661> for more details.

For the example you have cited, this is possible to do by inserting in your HTML code the following directive:

<!--#exec cmd="RCWcgi-dir/announce.exe variable1 variable2 variable3" -->

But if your .exe respects CGI you can use the other form which is lighter:

<!--#exec cgi="/RCWcgi-dir/announce.exe variable1 variable2 variable3" -->

Note that if you are the author of the .exe, you can easily convert it to a CGI. For that we suggest the use of the small VBCGI package we provide.

The VBCGI package is available from http://www.aprelium.com/data/VBCGI.zip . It contains a ready to use VB 6 project that you can test and modify later to write your own CGI application.

There is no documentation but here is what you'll have to do to start using it:
* Open the project (it was saved with VB 6).
* Edit the TEST module.
* Modify the CGIMain() Sub. The module defines a few functions and procedures which use is illustrated in our CGIMain() example. It assumes that you know the basics of HTML and that you have already used PHP, Perl, or ASP.
* Generate the executable (Use the option in the File menu of VB).

Put the resulting executable anywhere in your web site, and add its virtual path to the "Script Paths" table (in Scripting Parameters). For example, if you browse the file using http://127.0.0.1/dir1/dir2/testvbcgi.exe, then add
/dir1/dir2/testvbcgi.exe to the "Script Paths" table.
Forum Administrator
Aprelium - https://aprelium.com
WeissWelsh
-

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow....... Thank you so much. You have no idea how helpful you have been to me.

I'm going to download the Abyss Webserver, get it set up, and then do some tests using the information you've given me.

This may take me awhile since I have a learning curve to overcome. :-)

I will be sure to come back and tell you how it went. Weish me luck.

Thanks again for your help..... I owe you lunch!! :-)

Bob
Stegliree
-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:40 am    Post subject: CGI With Visual Basic Reply with quote

oops - it may have been CGI::POST_MAX setting - will know in 20 minutes or so.....
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ICQ Number
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> FastCGI/CGI All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: