Need help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcinfo
-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:44 am    Post subject: Need help Reply with quote

Hi, I have the software installed on my computer and i have figured out that my address is my ip address. But when i put http://ipaddresshere it comes up with page canot be displayed. I can get my index.html file on a localhost but not on the net.

If you could help me this would really really help me./
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help Reply with quote

jcinfo wrote:
Hi, I have the software installed on my computer and i have figured out that my address is my ip address. But when i put http://ipaddresshere it comes up with page canot be displayed. I can get my index.html file on a localhost but not on the net.

If you could help me this would really really help me./

Do you have anything like Router or Gateway or Firewall type of appliance between your Abyss and your ISP? Is your IP a static IP or Dynamic? Did you change the Abyss default port 80 to something else?

If you have some kind of appliance, then make sure Port 80 is open and forward to your Abyss box LAN IP (ie 192.168.1.100 or whatever LAN IP it is on).
-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you said on another post that u need to know my setup, i have broadband and i know my ip address, the port is set on 80 do i need to chage this to get mine to work? If so what to? If you really help me it would be much apricated.
Thank you
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcinfo wrote:
you said on another post that u need to know my setup, i have broadband and i know my ip address, the port is set on 80 do i need to chage this to get mine to work? If so what to? If you really help me it would be much apricated.
Thank you

If you know your setup then please state your setup, it will be better instead of guess or assuming what you have.

According to your reply, you indicate you know your IP is broadband then what type IP? Is it Static or Dynamic? Regarding port 80, I assume Abyss is set at port 80 as default or do your mean port 80 of something else like a router, maybe? If you have a Router or similar appliance, make sure the port 80 is open and forward to your LAN IP of where your Abyss is located. Do you know your LAN IP of where Abyss is on?

Note:
If you know your specific setting or setup of what you have, please by all mean, tell us all so we can have a idea and can better help you instead of guess. Do you recall a statement or phrase goes something like this .... Please help us to help you better.....

The only thing so far that I know from your are.... You have Broadband, install Abyss, have port 80 somewhere and the page can be display from localhost where Abyss is resided on. If you can narrow down what you have specificly, you may have your website up and running today (if possible).
-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right i have a static ip address, the port is set at default 80
i don't want to gve m,e ip address out. but by setup i don't kbnow what u mean.
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcinfo wrote:
right i have a static ip address, the port is set at default 80
i don't want to gve m,e ip address out. but by setup i don't kbnow what u mean.

Setup mean... do you have a router or gateway. Do you have a LAN? What OS you using? Are you on Cable or DSL or satelite etc? We do not really need your IP but we do need is specific setup what you got. Having static IP on port 80 is good but that do not tell me anything specific.

These are only thing I can assume when you indicate above.
Static IP = Constant IP which will not change. But according to your message, it made me feel that you not too sure.
Port 80 = Is that on a router or from Abyss that is set?

In general speaking, we can not see what you have other than you indicate you have problem. But at the same time, you are not providing specific information to help you out.

What happen if I say, to a support guy, I have problem with my PC. He ask for specific like what problem exactly..... but I kept saying, I have PC problem.... :D
-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i understand what u mean.
But i use cable modem, static ip gateway

does this help?
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcinfo wrote:

does this help?

Normailly, cable is not static but dynamic IP, it can stay for awhile and may cycle without notice. Check your IP again to see if still the same IP that you think you using. Use this link from Aprelium http://www.aprelium.com/ip/ to see your current IP status.

Do you have another appliance box between your cable modem and your PC? If you just have the cable modem that your ISP provide to you, do you know if it being block? Can you check your ISP if they let host. If answer no from them, they might block you from hosting your own webserver.
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CapFusion wrote:
jcinfo wrote:

does this help?

Normailly, cable is not static but dynamic IP, it can stay for awhile and may cycle without notice. Check your IP again to see if still the same IP that you think you using. Use this link from Aprelium http://www.aprelium.com/ip/ to see your current IP status.

Do you have another appliance box between your cable modem and your PC? If you just have the cable modem that your ISP provide to you, do you know if it being block? Can you check your ISP if they let host. If answer no from them, they might block you from hosting your own webserver.

I contacted my ISP and they don't help poeple set web servers up but they don't block poeple from making them. No there isn't anything between the cable modem and mu computer other than the cable modem box and yes my ip address stayed the same over night.
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I contacted my ISP and they don't help poeple set web servers up but they don't block poeple from making them. No there isn't anything between the cable modem and mu computer other than the cable modem box and yes my ip address stayed the same over night.

If nothing blocking you, then all you have to do is to contact your friend to see if they can connect to your webserver and be able to see your pages.

From your original message, you did not indicate if you can view your own page from your pc. Try using your browser and enter 127.0.0.1 to your URL and see if it will display first. If does not, check if you have add or set Abyss for HTML extension. The default is HTM.
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CapFusion wrote:
If nothing blocking you, then all you have to do is to contact your friend to see if they can connect to your webserver and be able to see your pages.

From your original message, you did not indicate if you can view your own page from your pc. Try using your browser and enter 127.0.0.1 to your URL and see if it will display first. If does not, check if you have add or set Abyss for HTML extension. The default is HTM.

Right i can see the web page on my local host but not on theinterent. I went to my mates computer and he cant get it either.
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Right i can see the web page on my local host but not on theinterent. I went to my mates computer and he cant get it either.

When you indicate you went to your mate computer, is that part of your LAN or out side... meaning from some place else like across the block or so OR across your room or another room?

If your mate PC is part of your LAN, then try entering the URL of your LAN IP not the public IP to see the webpages. We are trying to narrow down the problem you may have since all we do here is guessing or assuming. Since I or anyone reading does not have the idea what you have.

Anyway, if there another PC is part of your LAN, you can try testing it if Abyss Box have something preventing it from sending out or coming in.

Do you have any software like Firewall or Proxy and such similar tools?
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CapFusion wrote:
Quote:

When you indicate you went to your mate computer, is that part of your LAN or out side... meaning from some place else like across the block or so OR across your room or another room?

If your mate PC is part of your LAN, then try entering the URL of your LAN IP not the public IP to see the webpages. We are trying to narrow down the problem you may have since all we do here is guessing or assuming. Since I or anyone reading does not have the idea what you have.

Anyway, if there another PC is part of your LAN, you can try testing it if Abyss Box have something preventing it from sending out or coming in.

Do you have any software like Firewall or Proxy and such similar tools?

I might have a fire wall but if i did where would i check? and by the way my mates computer was on the other side of the county
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I might have a fire wall but if i did where would i check? and by the way my mates computer was on the other side of the county

Ok, we getting somewhere. If you have those firewall or Proxy, try to disable it and try again.
Firewall and Proxy may prevent outbound or inbound of certain port or any port. The firewall may also filtering what should or what not to come in. When something unknow to the firewall, it may just drop the request before Abyss can see it.
-

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how would i know oif i had a firewall how could i disabl it
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcinfo wrote:
how would i know oif i had a firewall how could i disabl it

That is a very good question. I have no idea how to answer that. The only thing I can do is to name a few and see if you can figure it out or a general picture.

Basic term -
Firewall is either an "Appliance" or a "Software" that is between your PC and the outside world. What firewall do is to scan inbound and outbound traffic from entering or leaving, depending on your setting / configuration.

ZoneAlarm, Norton Internet Security, Kerio and many other are example of software fireware that you may install to protect your PC.

SonicWall, FireBox, NetScreen and many other are consider a Appliance type Firewall that set before all your LAN (generally). It does the same as of those above in a individual PC but Appliance protect as awhole LAN instead.

Proxy is basically almost the same as Firewall software. It monitor traffic and route to certain PC [in/out bound] depending on the setting / configuration.

If you hava anythig of this nature, you will need to find it documentation to learn more about it.

First, find out what LAN IP your PC is using:
ipconfig /all - for WinXP/NT/2K OS

Please provide detail information about the following:
- local area network (LAN)
- Abyss PC LAN IP
- Router / Gateway model / name
- Windows OS version
- List other software regarding Firewall / Proxy [if available]

If you can not provide further informaiton about your setup. I don't know if Almight God can help you unless he can see through your eye.

If you trully want help. Please provide information first.

For example. Do you know the name of the PC I am using when I say.... I have a "Desktop" PC? Do you have any clue of what type or how fast? Do you know if it running what type of CPU? Do you even know the color?

Do please provide better information so we can help you better.
Do you recall this term / phase? - "Please help us to help you better"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: