Abyss Web Server X1 (v 2.4.9.8 Beta 2) and Vista setup

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kharzham
-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Abyss Web Server X1 (v 2.4.9.8 Beta 2) and Vista setup Reply with quote

I have been running a small web site on Xitami and Windows 98, then XP, for a few years. I just recently purchased a computer with Vista installed, and tried to run Xitami on it. It just would not work reliably.

Searcing for a replcement, I chose Abyss from about 25 others I looked at. So far I have been really impressed with the setup, but can not get it to display my pages on the Internet.

I have a DaCom SpeedUp 2200 DSL Modem, and 1.6 GHz Celeron M w/1GB memory running Vista Home Premium. I have a dynamic IP, which is updated at my DNS provider using DirectUpdate. I am running ZoneAlarm Firewall, and have set Internet and server access for Abyss.

Web pages display fine with //localhost and //127.0.0.1, and the Web Server Console displays fine. I had Abyss starting at logon, and now running as a service, and it did not work either way.

The "Users and Groups" and "IP Address Control" settings under "Abyss Web Server Console :: Hosts - Edit - Default Host On Port 80" were left at default, do I have to define a user or group to allow access? Do I need to set an IP or range? Are there security settings in Vista I need to set for Abyss or the webpage folders in Vista?

Sorry about the long post and thanks in advance,
Kharzham
http://www.hopkinsfamily.net
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Users and Groups" and "IP Address Control" are for setting protected directories and files only.

Make sure you have forwarded the ports in your router to the correct LAN IP.

Make sure you have allowed port 80 (and 9999 if you want to remotely use the console) in your firewall on both the computer and on the router if it has one.

Come back and tell us your results.

Moved to General Questions
Kharzham
-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Abyss Web Server X1 (v 2.4.9.8 Beta 2) and Vista setup Reply with quote

I have no router. This is the same hardware setup I used with Xitami for the last 11 months. All that was changed out was the computer.

I temporarily shut down my firewall to verify it was not the problem, with the same results. I am using Proxify to test the site, and get a "connection timed out" error.
rrinc
-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the firewall?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kharzham
-

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disabled the firewall, and Abyss still did not work.
abyssisthebest
-

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using vista and abyss with no problems....

Try the following
  • Even though you have disabled the firewall, can you check to see if Abyss is an exception in the Windows Firewall
  • Try running is as an administrator [Right Click Abyss Web Server >> Run as Administrator.
[/list]
-

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try going into windows firewall and allow traffic on port 80. I had the same issue but it seemed to work after that. for some reason it doesn't notice abyss binding to port 80 so you have to do it manually (at least thats what happened to me).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madman1337, Abyssisthebest,

That did it, thanks. That is a shame, however, I really like ZoneAlarm. I run Pro on my other (XP) computer, but Pro is not ready for Vista yet. The basic free version does not give you the the control over programs, such as port assignment, that Pro gives. Wonder why it did not work when I shut down ZoneAlarm and ran with no Firewall...?

Can you recommend a Vista-ready, fully featured Firewall?

madman1337 wrote:
try going into windows firewall and allow traffic on port 80.
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you have done all of the following.

1. Port forwarding in your router to the correct local IP and port.
2. Disabled all firewalls, including the windows firewall and also any firewall in your router.
3. Check your IP at www.abyssunderground.co.uk/ip to make sure you have the correct external IP.
4. Check your site with a friend or a proxy since some routers do no support loopback, a feature required for you to see your own site through your own external IP.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: