50%
 50%  [ 3 ]
Can't understand it
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 6

Kyleva2204
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 1:08 am    Post subject: Guide: Get your webserver world wide with netgear routers Reply with quote

Okay,

If you are using a Netgear router and can't get your local web site world wide because of your router then stay at this topic! I have instructions on how to do it! Please read instructions:
1) Okay goto your routers admin management page. The url is usually: 192.168.0.1 if it is different then goto step 2 else goto step 3.

2) For XP users go to 'start, all programs, accessories, command prompt' now you should see a black window. Type 'ipconfig' and press 'enter' or 'return'. Now where it says IP address type the value it gives untill you reach the last '.' and put '1'. That should take you to the management screen. For windows 98 + goto 'start, run' and type winipcfg. Where it says IP Address type the value of it untill you reach the last '.' and put 1. That should take you to the management screen.

3) Now a window should appear with some inputs. For the first input put 'admin', for the next input put the password you set. If you don't know try 'password'. This usually works for router RP614. If this doesn't work then read your manual.

4) Okay in the menu on the left hand side find a link that says 'Port Forwarding'. Click on it.

6) Wait for the page to load, once it has then find a button that says 'custom port' or somthing like that, and click on it.

7) For the name of the port forwarding put 'web server 1'. For the starting port put 80. Do the same for the ending port. Click 'Apply' or 'Ok'. This should send you back to the port forwarding page with your custom port forwarding added to the list of forwards. If it didin't then try it agian. Other wise goto the next step.

8) Do step 7 agian but for the name of the forward put 'web server 2' and for the starting port put 8080.

9) Restart your router and goto http://whatismyip.com and get your web IP address. Tell some one that is not on your network to go to your IP address. It should work. If it does then goto the next step.

10) Goto http://dyndns.org and signup for an account.

11) Login and goto https://www.dyndns.org/account/. In the table named 'Your Hosts & Zones ' click the link 'Add Host' this is right next to DynDNS, this should take you to this url: https://www.dyndns.org/services/dyndns/add.html.

12) In the Hostname input box put the URL you want your web server to be located with. Something like yournamecomputer. In the selection box select what you want your hostname to be next to such as: yournamecoumputer.dyndns.org.

13) Find the button called 'Add Host' and click it.

14) Go back to your routers admin screen and on the right hand side menu select DynDNS.

15) In the hostname input box put the hostname you made at dyndns.org including the selection you made in the select box. So you should put somthing like yournamecomputer.isa-geek.net.

16) Put your DynDNS account username in the username input field.

17) Put your DynDNS account password in the password input field.

18) Click the button that says 'Ok' or 'Apply'.

19) Wait 1 min and in the Routers DynDNS admin area click DynDNS Status. It should says somthing like 'success'.

20) You have finished! Tell people to goto the hostname your put for the router in the DynDNS section and they will be taken to your webserver!

I hope this helps you get your web server posted to the world wide web!
Back to top View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Gatewayy
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Linksys router and I have never had any problems. It shouldnt matter what the router brand is, you just have to forward whatever port you are using to the intrenal ip of your machine that is running the webserver.

My Abyss site!

http://crashhappy.gatewayy.net
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
JWagner12787
-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried this, but at the part with restart your router and visit whatismyip.com, I don't know how to restart the router - only reset it... also, when I visit the ip it says, it connects me to the netgear router server...
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

99% of routers have the same features... you don't need to use a brand-specific tutorial.
-

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have netgear wireless router DG834G and can log into the router settings but have no link that says "port forwarding" on the menu.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Virtual Servers?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: