Can Abyss run php and perl at the same time?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
elaurvick
-

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Can Abyss run php and perl at the same time? Reply with quote

I now have Abyss installed and an exact copy of my website installed on my computer. I converted all the pages to .php, it works perfectly, I can test changes before I move them to the live website. That said . . . I would like to make changes to customize the shopping cart BEFORE I move them to the live website. The shopping cart is written in Perl, and I don't know the language, so I'm sure I'm going to make a lot of mistakes before I get the modifications to work. Lots of tutorials and posts mention that Abyss will supoort php OR Perl, none of them say both can be running at the same time. I have the instructions to set up Perl, but I'm nervous about blindly doing it without clarification.
1) What is the "index file"? The website's home page is "index.php". If I add "index.cgi" as the file name, is it doing to expect that to be the home page (and cause it to stop working)?
2) The name of the Perl program (invoked by the php pages) is "agora.cgi". Is this the name I should put in instead of "index.cgi"?
3) The Abyss control panel has an "Add" button, but I can't find anything that says "Delete" or "Remove". If I add Perl and it doesn't work, how do I take it out and go back to my original configuration?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
rrinc
-

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) An index file is the file that is ran if no file is specified (so, if you went to mysite.com/ it would load the index file, unless you specify another file in the URL). If you have multiple index files in a directory, Abyss Web Server (to my knowledge) runs whichever one comes first in the list.

2) PHP and Perl are separate interpreters, Abyss Web Server calls on whichever interpreter is associated with the file extension of the page (generally Perl would be invoked if the file was *.pl or *.cgi and PHP would be invoked if the file was *.php). So yes, you can have PHP and Perl scripts on your website.

3) To remove an interpreter (such as Perl or PHP), you would click the trashcan icon next to it inside the Control Panel.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PHP and Perl can be run together no problem, just not on the same page if I am correct in thinking. They have to be running from seperate files. So your PHP files would run from filename.php and your Perl files from filename.cgi.
pkSML
-

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AbyssUnderground wrote:
PHP and Perl can be run together no problem, just not on the same page if I am correct in thinking. They have to be running from seperate files. So your PHP files would run from filename.php and your Perl files from filename.cgi.

Yes correct, sort of. L-)

I have a Perl script that gets the weather forecast for US cities. Then I changed my site over to PHP. I still wanted this script, but available from my now-PHP site. So I ran Perl from the command line using the PHP command system().

Just couldn't resist throwing in my two cents.

http://CodeBin.yi.org
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: