Regarding SPAM and Topic Reply notifications

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danzman
-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Regarding SPAM and Topic Reply notifications Reply with quote

Quote:
Mods Note -

This thread was split from the original as to maintain the integrity of the original thread.
Unfortunately, topic replies from spam posts are a recurring problem at the moment and should be addressed here.

-Moxxnixx

Admin, Can you ban this bastard's IP?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Moxxnixx
-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done.
His IP is now on the ban list.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Tom Chapman
-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danzman wrote:

What for???
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Arctic
-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Chapman wrote:
danzman wrote:

What for???

He was probably talking aboot a spambot.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Moxxnixx
-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arctic wrote:

That's correct.
The offending post was deleted.
Tom Chapman
-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moxxnixx wrote:
Arctic wrote:

That's correct.
The offending post was deleted.

Farout! Change the post to something like *DELTED*. Anything, I hate being emailed for no reason.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Moxxnixx
-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Chapman wrote:
Farout! Change the post to something like *DELTED*. Anything, I hate being emailed for no reason.

Are you talking about this thread? Or threads in general?
Only 3 people should have received an email for this thread when I responded and you're not one of them.
(unless you clicked on the "Watch this topic for replies" link at the bottom)

If you're talking about other threads in general, here's a tip...
From now on, if you get a topic reply notification for a thread that doesn't have a new post since the last
time you looked, just assume that a spam post was removed. There's no need for you to reply to it.

To be precise, spam isn't actually "deleted". Mods don't have the power to delete posts. Instead, it's moved
to a private section where it will be studied and, hopefully, Aprelium will find a solution to fight it.

So, you see, I can't edit the spam *DELETED* because the post has to be moved and if I responded to every
thread that I removed spam from, I would easily add another 500+ to my post count.
Tom Chapman
-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moxxnixx wrote:
Tom Chapman wrote:

Are you talking about this thread? Or threads in general?
Only 3 people should have received an email for this thread when I responded and you're not one of them.
(unless you clicked on the "Watch this topic for replies" link at the bottom)

If you're talking about other threads in general, here's a tip...
From now on, if you get a topic reply notification for a thread that doesn't have a new post since the last
time you looked, just assume that a spam post was removed. There's no need for you to reply to it.

To be precise, spam isn't actually "deleted". Mods don't have the power to delete posts. Instead, it's moved
to a private section where it will be studied and, hopefully, Aprelium will find a solution to fight it.

So, you see, I can't edit the spam *DELETED* because the post has to be moved and if I responded to every
thread that I removed spam from, I would easily add another 500+ to my post count.

Let me restate: Change the text in the post to something along the lines of "deleted". I don't know about you, but when I get a topic reply email, I get excited and when I find no new posts, its really a let down. Sorry for going off as I did.

I didn't realise you moved the posts to such forum and it's either move the post or edit it which kinds sucks... Oh well...
roganty
-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Chapman wrote:
Farout! Change the post to something like *DELTED*. Anything, I hate being emailed for no reason

Same here! Ive had a couple of emails saying there is a reply to a topic i have replied to, but i cant find it, anywhere!
Even when i follow the link in the email, it just says "post doesnt exist"

Roganty
| Links-Links.co.uk
Moxxnixx
-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: All the following posts are submitted after the thread split Reply with quote

Tom, as I said, spam posts have to be moved to a section that is not viewable by regular members.
So, editing them would be pointless since you wouldn't see it anyway.

IMO, I would rather members get an email for a nonexistent post than for them to see the tasteless filth
that these spammers post (many include explicit images). There are plenty of pr0n sites on the web to
go to view this garbage and Aprelium Forums is not one of them.

I understand that it can be frustrating to receive an email for a topic that doesn't have any new posts.
At the moment, there isn't anything that can be done about it. Aprelium does have plans for a complete
forum overhaul in the near future. Other than that, I can't be more detailed.

Hopefully, Aprelium will chime in and give us more info.
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: All the following posts are submitted after the thread s Reply with quote

Moxxnixx wrote:
At the moment, there isn't anything that can be done about it. Aprelium does have plans for a complete
forum overhaul in the near future. Other than that, I can't be more detailed.

Hopefully, Aprelium will chime in and give us more info.

We confirm that we are working on replacing PhpBB with another system that could block spam automatically while better indexing the posts and with accurate search capabilities.
rrinc
-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aprelium, are you saying that you are looking for new forum software? If that is the case, may I suggest SMF. I use it for all of my clients, it hasn't ever let me down.

Also, you might want to look into bad-behavior, I'm not sure if it would help you with spam or not.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tom Chapman
-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rrinc wrote:
Aprelium, are you saying that you are looking for new forum software? If that is the case, may I suggest SMF. I use it for all of my clients, it hasn't ever let me down.

Also, you might want to look into bad-behavior, I'm not sure if it would help you with spam or not.

phpBB 3.
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rrinc wrote:

Not exactly. We're working on creating a home-grown community site with much more features than what current forums have. We are focusing on making it better at search (which could help newbies who does not know the right words when looking for information).

rrinc wrote:

Thanks a lot. It seems very promising. We'll test it on the forum in the coming days.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: