I'd like to taste linux

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

I heard you can boot some linux distributions from a cd. Is this a conviniant way to use linux???
YES
42%
 42%  [ 3 ]
NO
42%
 42%  [ 3 ]
I use it like that!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I don't use linux
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 7

lucorium
-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: I'd like to taste linux Reply with quote

Hi I'd love to taste any free linux distribution, but I'd like some suggestions.

If you're using linux, please give a brief detail of what is the distribution you're using and what would you recommend for a starter, specially for someone coming from windows.

Lucas.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Live CD's are great for testing out linux to see if you like it, or just doing a small little thing, but its almost useless to run like that on a daily basis.
Moxxnixx
-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: I'd like to taste linux Reply with quote

lucorium wrote:
what would you recommend for a starter, specially for someone coming from windows.

IMO, Ubuntu is the best for beginners based on it's simplicity.
Plus, they have a very helpful community that is noob-friendly.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: I'd like to taste linux Reply with quote

Moxxnixx wrote:
lucorium wrote:
what would you recommend for a starter, specially for someone coming from windows.

IMO, Ubuntu is the best for beginners based on it's simplicity.
Plus, they have a very helpful community that is noob-friendly.

We too second Ubuntu. They can also send you free installation CDs (with free shipping for any location on the planet).

Last edited by aprelium on Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
rrinc
-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too like Ubuntu (and Kubuntu/Xubuntu...still haven't chosen), I don't work with it but if I ever need a linux distro it'll be my choice. Ubuntu server is also pretty nice.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: I'd like to taste linux Reply with quote

aprelium wrote:
We too second Ubuntu. They can also send you free installation CDs (with free shipping for any location on the planet).

By the way, we have moved all our desktop Linux boxes to Ubuntu (they were powered by Fedora and Red Hat). The package system of Ubuntu is very well designed and the 6.06 LTS (long term support) version is interesting since Ubuntu people promise to maintain it for 5 years at least.
lucorium
-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Peolpe say I could run EVERYTHING on linux Reply with quote

Several people say, everything I can do in Windows I'll be able to do in linux. Could I install in Linux all the software I use in Windows like all the adobe products, MS office, etc.

Could I run MSexchange server. (I dont use this. I'm just wondering)

Thanks,
Lucas.

PS: Thanks for all the feedback, I already downloaded Ubuntu and today a neighbor donated me an old computer to test it. I'll post something after installation and initial testing.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
rrinc
-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be possible with WINE (a Windows Emulator), I believe people have installed things such as MS Office using it.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Peolpe say I could run EVERYTHING on linux Reply with quote

lucorium wrote:
Several people say, everything I can do in Windows I'll be able to do in linux. Could I install in Linux all the software I use in Windows like all the adobe products, MS office, etc.

Could I run MSexchange server.

If you're going to use Windows specific software, you'd better not switch to Linux. Linux won't run natively your Windows software. WINE for example is a Windows emulation software available on Linux. It will run your Windows software on Linux but not perfectly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: