Can't find basic info

View previous topic :: View next topic  
patski46
-

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Can't find basic info Reply with quote

I guess this is common with Microsoft....PLEASE dont say 'upgrade' I am pretty much stuck with the hardware and OS I have so I have no option but to make this work. Firstly, I can't seem to find out just what is included in Windows Me, but apparently it's the one and only version of Windows released with no server capabilities (no PWS, no IIS). Won't run them either. OK, so I develop my web site and get a domain name and upload my almost finished pages until I realize that, in order to exchange even a single bit of info with my users, I need a 'server side' script. No problem, I have dutifully pored over the W3C, NVU, and Evrsoft tutorials to learn enough HTML, CSS, and Javascript to get a functional site up and running. No lack of motivation or willingness to do my homework. I have Abyss up and running and I have my site up and running on my domain. This whole CGI, ASP, PHP thing is killing me. I cant find an explanation of how to author, test, and install anything at all given my OS, local server and domain server. Is there a version of ASP that runs on WinMe and where can I get it? ASP.Net is a nogo, as is InstantHTML. Am I doomed?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.abyssunderground.co.uk/tutorials.php will help.

AHTML is an ASP package but if I remember rightly it does not work on WindowsME edition. Your only option, unfortunately, is to upgrade if you wish to use AHTML(ASP).
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't find basic info Reply with quote

patski46,

If changing the OS is not an option, you'll not be able to use ASP (ActiveHTML) or ASP.NET. But you can run PHP, Python, Perl, and many other scripting languages without any problem.
loloyd
-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.phpfreaks.com/ is a good reference for you to start coding in PHP. Hopefully, PHP will not kill you. It will empower you. :-D

http://home.loloyd.com/ is online if the logo graphic at left is showing.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: