I want to to use www.mysite.com not www.mysite.com:81

View previous topic :: View next topic  
njaneer
-

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: I want to to use www.mysite.com not www.mysite.com:81 Reply with quote

I am using port 81 to circumvent the port 80 block. I have Abyss web server X2, and I am virtually hosting several sites. However, I have to use www.mysite.com:81 to access the site. I want to instead use a conventional URL name such as: www.mysite.com (no port (81) designation would be needed in this case), to access the same site. Any suggestions.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
hc2995
-

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not possible, since your ISP blocks port 80 no matter what you do, port 80 will be blocked (unless you buy premium or business class service)
-

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Zoneedit has a free service to forward a domain to another address. You may add your domain and redirect it to port 81.

But as hc2995 said, there is not really any good way to bypass a port 80 block other than changing ISP or get them to unblock it.
njaneer
-

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a solution. I went to www.everydns.net and utilized the webhop functionality that they offer (it was free!). Now when someone types in www.mysite.com it will webhop to www.mysite.com:81. In effect , bypassing the port 80 block by my ISP. It works great and it was free. I highly recommend this site for anyone attempting to achieve the same result.

Thanks for everyones input.
ccs
-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

In effect , bypassing the port 80 block by my ISP. It works great and it was free. I highly recommend this site for anyone attempting to achieve the same result

Have you read the TOS (terms of Service) from your ISP? Odds are, they review their packet logs every 60 days or so and will, eventually, see that you are running a web site in violation of your service agreement. Depending on the ISP, you may get a warning or they may simply shut you down. I've seen both happen. Just because something 'works', you'd better be really careful of breaking the rules and thinking you're "under the radar". We've had customer's claim they weren't running web servers by the traffic logs don't lie :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: