CGI Error Log is too large

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dapiaoen
-

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: CGI Error Log is too large Reply with quote

I've apparently fixed the problem by:
- Updating to 2.4 (personal version)
- Turning off PHP and the turning it back on

I'm running a simple local development using perl, testing some PHP, and connecting to MS Access

First, let me ask what is the best way to get rid of old log messages? I used VIM and deleted. However, this caused many @'s to be written before the next real error was logged.

Here is (was) what was the real problem:
- My simple first call to a perl page took several seconds. It apparently was waiting for the CGI Log file to write 755 MB of error logs. After the log was complete, everything worked fine.
- I could not read this with anything (too large), but TYPEing it revealed errors like the below at end of this post (apologies for all this junk):j
- Weeks ago, I fixed these errors and had edited these errors out of the CGI log. And, everything was working fine.
- Today, I even copied the FastCGI.log to the CGI.log to get rid of them, but they continued to appear and cause the CGI log to grow from a few KB to 750,288 KB (always the same size)
- When I went home on Friday, I was not having any of these problems and I'm fairly sure the log was not 750 MB

Where did all these error messages come from? (I don't need to know about the actual errors, since I fixed those when they first appeard. I'm curious about how they reappeared).

Can I use VIM to edit the logs?

Thanks,

Chris Frost

C:\Program Files\Abyss Web Server\log>type cgi.log
15/Jan/2007:09:26:09 -0500 SUID: 0 PUID: 0 RUID: 0 URI: Reading 0 bytes failed = The process cannot access the file becaus
e it is being used by another process.
15/Jan/2007:09:26:09 -0500 SUID: 0 PUID: 0 RUID: 0 URI: timeout-header2!
15/Jan/2007:09:26:09 -0500 SUID: 1 PUID: 1 RUID: 0 URI: Reading 0 bytes failed = The process cannot access the file becaus
15/Jan/2007:09:26:09 -0500 SUID: 1 PUID: 1 RUID: 0 URI: timeout-header2!
15/Jan/2007:12:23:07 -0500 SUID: 0 PUID: 0 RUID: 0 URI: Reading 0 bytes failed = The process cannot access the file becaus
15/Jan/2007:12:23:07 -0500 SUID: 0 PUID: 0 RUID: 0 URI: timeout-header2!
PHP Warning: odbc_connect() [<a href='function.odbc-connect'>function.odbc-connect</a>]: SQL error: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manag
er] Data source name not found and no default driver specified, SQL state IM002 in SQLConnect in C:\Program Files\Abyss Web Server
\htdocs\AccessConnect.php on line 34
PHP Warning: odbc_connect() [<a href='function.odbc-connect'>function.odbc-connect</a>]: SQL error: [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Ac
cess Driver] Could not find file '(unknown)'., SQL state S1000 in SQLConnect in C:\Program Files\Abyss Web Server\htdocs\AccessCon
nect.php on line 50
PHP Warning: odbc_connect() [<a href='function.odbc-connect'>function.odbc-connect</a>]: SQL error: [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Ac
cess Driver] '(unknown)' is not a valid path. Make sure that the path name is spelled correctly and that you are connected to the
server on which the file resides., SQL state S1009 in SQLConnect in C:\Program Files\Abyss Web Server\htdocs\AccessConnect.php on
line 50
cess Driver] '(unknown)' is not a valid path. Make sure that the path name is spelled correctly and that you are connected to the
server on which the file resides., SQL state S1009 in SQLConnect in C:\Program Files\Abyss Web Server\htdocs\AccessConnect.php on
line 5
-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: CGI Error Log is too large Reply with quote

dapiaoen,

When you move or rename a log file while Abyss Web Server is running, the old size is retained (that's Windows, not Abyss Web Server that enforces that). So you'll have to stop the server for a few seconds while you do the required to move/clean the files.

To disable logging, set the log file name to an empty value (i.e. delete the file name and do not write anything in it).

The ODBC error reported by PHP could be either redirected to the web pages or not displayed by tweaking the error_XXXXX parameters in php.ini.
dapiaoen
-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: CGI Log too large Reply with quote

OK, I think I understand. Windows was reloading the log with the buffered copy because I had the server running.

I did discover the obviouse, eventually, that I have to stop the server to edit a log.

Thanks,

Chris :D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> PHP All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: