other web users

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fantasyf1
-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 1:24 am    Post subject: other web users Reply with quote

i have just recently installed abyss and set it up to listen to port 55. i have redirected my dns to port my.ip:55 and i can goto 127.0 etc:55 and my website appears. i can go to msiexplorer and enter my.ip:55 and my web site will load. This is all from my home computer where the server is on.

But whenever anyone else tries to get onto my website they are unable to reach it.

Are there any hints or help that anyone can give to me. Anything would be much appreciated many thanks SHarris
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Bluedog
-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you running a firewall? If so, ensure that port 55 is opened up for connections.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
fantasyf1
-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:38 pm    Post subject: firewall Reply with quote

no, i am not runnig a firewall unless win xp has on in it that i dont know about. anyone know of one in xp prof edition??
fantasyf1
-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 7:58 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

yeah it was a windows firewall that caused the problem, i set it to open the correct port, thanks for your help, can anyone also help me with this: the pages take a long time to open, they are not big only a few k in size but they take ages to load, any ideas on how to increase bandwidth ??
Bluedog
-

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of connection are you on? Also, web pages will slow down if you are downloading or using the connection yourself.
fantasyf1
-

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am on a cable dsl modem and i do use the connection myself, what can i do to improve upon the connection speed, any ideas
vbgunz
-

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 2:25 am    Post subject: speed, connection, upload, download Reply with quote

Here is an interesting site that would test both your download and upload speeds... Perhaps you'll learn something...

http://www.pcpitstop.com/internet/default.asp

The following site displays a listing of software for internet connection tweaking...

Shareware
http://www.webattack.com/shareware/system/swsyspeed.shtml

Freeware
http://www.webattack.com/Freeware/system/fwsyspeed.shtml

I hope something from the above will better help you understand and improve your internet connection...

BTW, have you happened to try improving your speed already? Sometimes trying to improve it can lead to a bad connection...

I hope this helps... If you manage to solve it can you please share with us what you did? Thanks
fantasyf1
-

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:16 pm    Post subject: thanks for your help Reply with quote

i have not tried them yet but i will let you know how i get on.

my next problem, and hopefully final one, is that i am trying to use asp scripts. i am totally new to asp and i have downloaded a lgin / user registration script for my website, i intend to use it for users to register then login. the scripts work ok individually, bu when i try to run the index it just wont work is there some setting that i need to do, i have installed active html and tried to configure the console, but the set up page is very vague when it comes to details if there is another page or document that maybe helpfull it would be most aprreciated many thanks steve
vbgunz
-

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:57 pm    Post subject: asp, problems, ahtml, asa, asx Reply with quote

If you're having a problem running an asp script but you know you have things set up correctly it might just be your asp script... Consult with script maker and tell them your setup... I had a problem too once and I knew my setup was correct... Then I found out the script was incompatible with AHTML and was only made for IIS...

When I mention script I mean complete script such as phpBB2...

Anyway I hope your able to solve your problems... Tell us if you did :)
fantasyf1
-

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 5:11 pm    Post subject: ahhh Reply with quote

are u sure ahtml is only for iis, oh no.

is there a similar technology i can use for abyss.

i am using a different login script now and i can:
1) allow the user to register
2) the username and password are stored correctly in the mdb file
3) the user tries to login and it tells them that it needs to be a registered user to login??
any ideas, i have made the mdb file a system dsn, any points i could try??
vbgunz
-

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: AHTML, compatible, compatability, IIS Reply with quote

I am sorry if I confused you. AHTML as far as I am concerned is 100% compatible with Abyss. I was refering to some scripts are soley created for what Abyss is not, such as IIS, etc and the makers of a script I was having troubles with told me their products are not compatible with AHTML...

My suggestion is to ask the script creator after exhausting your resources if the script is at least compatible with AHTML...

Only a suggestion :)
fantasyf1
-

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 6:11 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

thakns for your quiick reply. I really dont know what is going on now, i have got two web servers on the go, ahhh, one on port 80, abyss, the other on 55, iis, i am very confused as to what to do.

the abyss wont let me open the mdb file, but now iis has a problem with registering new users i need help ahhh.
fantasyf1
-

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 6:15 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

well i just checked back and it works fine, it seems i was jumping the gun a bit and typing in an old ip i was using cheers for all your help S Harris

just as another matter which has the highest u/l bandwidth IIS or Abyss??

check it out http://80.194.169.212:55
Bluedog
-

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
just as another matter which has the highest u/l bandwidth IIS or Abyss??

That all depends on your connection. Of course, if the actual software is slower at loading/processing pages, that will affect load time, but bandwidth is not a server issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: