Firefox - top PC resource hog!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loloyd
-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Firefox - top PC resource hog! Reply with quote

Firefox has consistently hogged my PC on Windows XP Pro's resources with Mem Usage > 60 MB and VM Size > 70 MB. This has actually begun after updating beyond Firefox 2 (my Firefox is version 2.0.0.1 as of this writing).

I have been to the site
Code:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Reducing_memory_usage_(Firefox)
shared by Aprelium detailing memory use encumbrances while using Firefox today.

This problem has had quite a dramatic impact on my part since I keep getting Virtual Memory Minimum Too Low notifications and sometimes I see my Page File increase to unbelievably 1.5 GB and observe that condition sustained for a few minutes. Depending on how you use your PC, that number could be relative. Large Page Files can be seen in PCs with extensive video editing use but I seldom do video editing and I normally use lean, light-weight, resource-friendly, no-bells-and-whistles, fast and efficiency-oriented programs to begin with (in my belief :-D; that's why I choose Abyss over Apache or IIS).

I use relatively minimal add-ons on my Firefox but I can see that Adblock can be a problem source from the URL above. My other add-ons are:
Download Statusbar
DownThemAll
FastVideoDownload
FlashGot
Google Toolbar for Firefox
googlebar
Leet Key
Scrapbook

Anybody else experiencing this with their Firefox lately? What add-ons do you have?

http://home.loloyd.com/ is online if the logo graphic at left is showing.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My paging file is 1.5gb by default, so its normal to have notifications to increase it.

What system RAM do you have? All my machines have 512MB and I rarely get these notifications.
loloyd
-

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 512 MB RAM. But I have relatively little space in system drive C left so I am more attuned in keeping my Page File to minimum manageable levels - it is set to automatic sizing anyways.

http://home.loloyd.com/ is online if the logo graphic at left is showing.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: