Newbie with Qs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrdeahl
-

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:37 am    Post subject: Newbie with Qs Reply with quote

Howdy:

I have had 3 websites hosted elsewhere and have decided to do the webserver myself. I have windows, apache, php, mysql, phpbb all runing for 4 of my websites with virtualhost under apache.

It is working fine but I am going to have some large files for download on a couple of the website.

I have 1meg up and 1 meg down for bandwidth so I am interested in Abyss X2 for bandwidth limiting and security. I would also like to know about any tracking or logging built into abyss.

Does abyss bandwidth limiting configur for each website? Can I have the bandwidth limited files in different directories?

What kind of hacking protection in abyss's security?

Any logging or real-time tracking. I would like to watch my server monitor and see what is going on.

Also, now that I have it up and running what problems to convert to abyss X2?

Is there any advantage to go with linux over the windows os?

Thank you,

John
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
hc2995
-

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie with Qs Reply with quote

jrdeahl wrote:

Does abyss bandwidth limiting configur for each website? Can I have the bandwidth limited files in different directories?

Abyss X2 Does

jrdeahl wrote:

What kind of hacking protection in abyss's security?

Abyss has built in anti hacking protection, it has worked very well for me

jrdeahl wrote:

Any logging or real-time tracking. I would like to watch my server monitor and see what is going on.

There is logging but i do not believe there is any real time tracking (the logs are updated in real time)

jrdeahl wrote:

Also, now that I have it up and running what problems to convert to abyss X2?

There shouldnt be any, abyss is much easier to use than apache :D

jrdeahl wrote:

That is a matter of opinion, i prefer windows OS as it save me time and hassle but some people like linux
-

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply. What kind of info is in the log?

Could I just delete apache and install x2 or do I have to start over from scratch?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrdeahl wrote:
Could I just delete apache and install x2 or do I have to start over from scratch?

Not from scratch. You can leave your web sites files and your database data untouched.

When you'll install Abyss Web Server X2, all you have to do is to create your virtual hosts in it and declare PHP support in each one of them.

Quote:

It's your choice here. Abyss Web Server will deliver the same performance on Windows and Linux. But the Windows version is easier to install (Linux needs always some command line typing to install software and manage some tasks).
hc2995
-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iv used abyss on windows and Linux, the only problem iv ever had was permissions (i kept forgetting about them since iv used windows for like 9 years)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: