Lock visitors to directory based on entry page - can I?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lawrence
-

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 6:12 am    Post subject: Lock visitors to directory based on entry page - can I? Reply with quote

I love this webserver, it's great fun. Currently tho I've run into an issue. I serve pages to two distinct groups of people - friends and family, and riff-raff. I'd prefer to keep the riff-raff from checking out the rest of the site when they enter the riff-raff directory as their first page. For example:

if the first request from their IP is for
myserver.com/riffraff/
I don't want them to be able to access
myserver.com/

Is there a way to, for example, lock these IPs to the subdirectories within /riffraff/ for a few hours, maybe?

Alternatively I could disable the myserver.com/index.html page, but that's inconvenient for everyone else. I'd rather inconvenience the riffraff. ;)

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Bluedog
-

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not put the 'riff raff' into the home directory, and make a subdirectory for friends and family. You can then protect this with a username and password by creating a new user on the console, and then resrtricting access to the friends folder using the access control section.l
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
vbgunz
-

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 8:11 am    Post subject: locking down directories, lock down directory Reply with quote

What you're asking for might not be a good idea... I can tell you want enhanced security and Aprelium just might give it to you in the near future but simply do this...

Password protect your family and friends directory and make the user name and password so easy to remember that it'll seem like a virtual joke...

user: 111111
pass: 111111

or

user: friend
pass: friend

The way Abyss pops up the dialog on a password protected directory is cool... Family and friends have the option of saving the password if they tick the box (remember password)...

Have your family and friends check that box...

If you managed to come up with a different solution let us know :)
vbgunz
-

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 10:51 am    Post subject: ip locking, password protecting Reply with quote

I came across this script which adds a little more protection than jsut a user name and password but I havent tried it out.... I think it does what you're asking for... I did mange to download it and if you like simply either email me or search for it... I think it is called IPCheck or IP check...

Good luck :)
Bluedog
-

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh i was gonna suggest something like that. Only problem is that if friends/family dont have a static ip, it will change and wont be on the allowed list.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: