Need help with a simple redirect. [Solved]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Axis
-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Need help with a simple redirect. [Solved] Reply with quote

I am not a complete dummy but the url rewriting has me rather stumped. I want to do a simple redirect from one page:
http://mydomain/sixa/blog/weblog.pl to another
http://mydomain/sixa/strayvoltage/index.php?post=s1245016706

I tried doing this yesterday and when I finally got it to work I lost all my server side includes in the process.

I know this should be simple but I just don't understand the url rewriting very well.

Anyone care to help? This would be an external redirect correct? or internal?

Can you give me a step by step approach to each field entry?
enable rule= checked (right?)
case sensitive= checked (right?)
conditions= not sure what to put here. Right now it is Request URL
matches with= /sixa/blog/weblog.pl
Case sensitive= checked

Apply to subrequests= unchecked
If this rule matches=Perform an Internal Redirection
Redirect to= /sixa/strayvoltage/index.php?post=s1245016706
Append Query String= unchecked
Escape Redirection Location= unchecked
Next Action= Stop Action

This should be simple but I am not succeeding or when I do, I lose all the Server Side Includes on the whole site.

Regards,
Axis

Last edited by Axis on Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
aprelium-support
-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with a simple redirect. Reply with quote

Axis,

Can you please send your abyss.conf to the Technical Support Team ?
http://www.aprelium.com/support/email/
Axis
-

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Simple page redirect solved. Reply with quote

Hello Aprelium--

I sent my conf file to your priority support but I don't think it helped much as I had already deleted the failed rule.

Yesterday, I fooled with the url rewrite for hours and finally got it to work without de-activating all my ssi.

The rule that worked was:
enable rule= checked
Virtual Path Regular Expression= ^/sixa/blog/weblog\.pl$
Conditions= Variable= REQUEST_FILENAME
Operator= Exists and is not an empty file
Apply to subrequests too= checked
If this rule matches= perform an external Redirection
Redirect to: /sixa/strayvoltage/index.php
Append Query String= checked
Escape Redirection Location= checked
Status Code= 301- Moved permanently

This worked.

The whole thing was about a blog script I was using and I didn't like it. I installed a new blog script and put in a static "archive" on the side with links to all the permalinks of the old blog. These all had a url of weblog.pl?trackback=#(a number).

In the interim of my first post and finally figuring out how to do a simple page redirect I fixed the problem by removing all references in the old blog header to main page (weblog.pl) and archives and just substituted a "new blog" url to the new blog in the old blog menu. So that worked pretty well as there are no displayed links to weblog.pl itself. I removed the old links from my menu and substituted the new link. So all that worked pretty well and basically allowed me to move my blog but not lose my previous posts on the old blog.

One caveat to this all. With the above filter rule in place, all of my trackback urls in my new blog static "archives" would redirect back to the new blog (and therefore you couldn't read them) because the Virtual Path Regular Expression was a string. I had hoped the $ at the end of weblog\.pl$ would end the redirection so that permalinks would still work but no go for that. So after figuring out the rule, I deleted it (but saved the page for when it was enabled so I could do a redirect again if needed with something to guide me.)

Anyway all is fixed and works for me now.

Regards,
Axis
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> URL Rewriting All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: