"professional" abyss-hosts out there?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stoltenhoff
-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: "professional" abyss-hosts out there? Reply with quote

hi there.

i'm interested, if there are some "professional" hosters, too? pardon me - i don't want to intend, that private hosters with a dsl-line arent "professional"!
but i've found just one company in the forum, which uses abyss on their production-servers. i would be glad to hear more from people, they are serving sites e.g. for their business-critical clients.
personal background: i'm searching for an time-saving and secure alternative to apache. our machine is managing 50 domains / up to 30gb traffic per month. and i don't like "standards" ;-)

thank you and best regards,
jan
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its difficult to become a professional host due to the lack of a control panel. I host 20 websites and I pass around 1.5TeraBytes of bandwidth a month (I'm on a 100Mbps dedicated server). But since I'm the admin of them all, and the majority being my own and my friends sites, its not too hard.

Aprelium are working on a solution to allow third party control panels to be made. We hope this will be a great improvement for the future.
stoltenhoff
-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi andy

and thanks a lot for this topic! yes, this could be a major problem for the classical provider ;-) in our case, we're managing everything for the customer and in times of cms-driven sites they have enough to do here ;-)
my question pointed to the "backend-point-of-view", but you answered it with the 1,5tb! 8-)

best regards,
jan

AbyssUnderground wrote:
Its difficult to become a professional host due to the lack of a control panel. I host 20 websites and I pass around 1.5TeraBytes of bandwidth a month (I'm on a 100Mbps dedicated server). But since I'm the admin of them all, and the majority being my own and my friends sites, its not too hard.

Aprelium are working on a solution to allow third party control panels to be made. We hope this will be a great improvement for the future.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally the people I host don't need anything changing in Abyss anyway. I give them phpMyAdmin, FTP, access to their mail settings via a script and they're set to go. Thats just how I do it though, and it works well. However some people do require more control over their hosting. Most just want something that works though.
rrinc
-

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm waiting for control panel support too. (Or is Aprelium making an official one or both?) I kind of need it to start a hosting company. Aprelium, are there any specific details on this particular feature?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rrinc wrote:
I'm waiting for control panel support too. (Or is Aprelium making an official one or both?) I kind of need it to start a hosting company. Aprelium, are there any specific details on this particular feature?

From what I know, Aprelium aren't making the panel, but simply making an easy way for 3rd party control panels to be created and integrated.
Toasty
-

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine it wouldn't be hard to make one in PHP...Might work on that...
-

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toasty wrote:
I imagine it wouldn't be hard to make one in PHP...Might work on that...

It will be easy to make in PHP once Aprelium implements a way for us to do it.
Toasty
-

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I don't mean like that.

You can probably access the abyss.conf file from PHP, thus making any adjustments directly from the conf file (the login and what not is just a front end to the configuration file, I believe).

If not that, then a back end app (such as a VB app on Windows) can read from PHP and make any changes if PHP can't access it.

The only foreseeable issue here would be restarting the server (which I'm sure you could "steal" the code from the console and integrate it in without a login necessary).
-

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toasty wrote:
No, I don't mean like that.

You can probably access the abyss.conf file from PHP, thus making any adjustments directly from the conf file (the login and what not is just a front end to the configuration file, I believe).

If not that, then a back end app (such as a VB app on Windows) can read from PHP and make any changes if PHP can't access it.

The only foreseeable issue here would be restarting the server (which I'm sure you could "steal" the code from the console and integrate it in without a login necessary).

You could do that if you could code something to edit the XML. You would also have to stop Abyss first, edit, the restart Abyss for the changes to work, which is very tedious and unreliable.

Aprelium is trying to implement an EASY way to do this without having to restart the server when you make changes.
Toasty
-

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True that homeskillet.
-

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the main reason the control panel project didn't really take off. Sure, we could open up abyss.conf and use the simpleXML extension, but its not foolproof and corruption, mistakes, etc are possible. And what if Aprelium updates the format...its easier to do things through an API that takes care of most of that.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
phirez
-

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with what goes on "behind the scenes" of the console but couldn't we just monitor the requests to the console's server (using tcpdump) and then create a PHP script that uses GET/POST requests to communicate with the console accordingly.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
rrinc
-

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you're talking about using the console through an automated script. This is a possibility, but it isn't very practical compared to an API of some sort. Its a lot of unnecessary work when an API is on the way. Also in a serious hosting environment, needing to restart the server upon configuration changes (a limitation in the current console and something that would definitely happening often in this environment) isn't very acceptable; this is another issue Aprelium will be fixing.
phirez
-

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using tcpdump (the name is misleading), it appears the console involves UDP or ICMP. Therefore, the PHP script would have to use sockets. Which I admit, would be a waste of time.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Toasty
-

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Script operates on server.

Script uses fgets and fwrite, reads the values when loading a page and saves the file accordingly.

Sure, the restart will be a pain, but what's a bigger pain? No external hosting, or the occasional restart?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: