game server

View previous topic :: View next topic  
labrynthskye
-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: game server Reply with quote

I feel like a complete idiot here. I have installed abyss, put the files to the game into a folder but I can't and I know this is going to sound really dumb i can't figure out why myself and two of my friends can't play the game, I can't figure out what I'm missing, when we try to play it just downloads the exe file rather than opening it from the server, also will the game then be a lan game or ip to ip. ok, here is my overall goal maybe someone can tell me the best way to get there. I want to play Ghost Recon AW2 with just two friends without going through the servers provided on the game so it will be faster. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Labrynth Skye
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Abyss is a web server. Its purpose is to serve files or web pages to your computer over the internet. It is not game server hosting software, so what you have described is quite right, it will attempt to download the file.

What you need to do is find software (by googling?) that runs as a game server for your game. Often the game itself will do this when you load it up and select multiplayer. It then often has an option to host a game over internet or LAN. You need to use this.

I hope you can understand this.

If you however have a website, Abyss is the software you need.
labrynthskye
-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

thanks for the fast response. I will continue to look, the offered multiplayer is slow and we only want to have two players going so a listening server or non-dedicated server would be better for us, thanks.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
razorsedge
-

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering the game you are playing need to run throught a database, you need MSSQL. After installing the database, you must change your connection file in your game folder to your ip address(for your friends) and for you it must be ur local address.
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/express/bb410792.aspx

If you wish to recieve the "benefits", just go to google and search for it.
Now if you dont have a game that doesnt need a database then your best bet is running it local. otherwise you would ahve to open up your ports that your game uses. and connect directly to his/her computer. Anyways have fun playing!
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: