Memory leak / usage problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mstrommer
-

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:21 am    Post subject: Memory leak / usage problem Reply with quote

Hi
I have an odd problem that I have been trying to fix for quite a few months now but without any success.

I am running Abyss 2.5, PHP4 and mySQL 4.1 on a server together with some other apps (ssh, mail and ftp).

Every now and then (no regular pattern, typically every 2-5 days) the web server will grab every availble memory (physical and virtual) and bring the system to a grinding halt. VM file size will be over 1GB and physical memory allocation will be at 150-250 MB fluctuating wildly - all eaten up by Abyss.

I have re-run all web server requests from the log a few times assuming it is caused by a looping php script but have not been able to reproduce the situation.

Although I can reboot the server in regular intervalls to minimize downtime I would prefer to debug the problem and fix it permanently.

Unfortunately I don't know how to best go about this. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Martin
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
mstrommer
-

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Would you belive... Reply with quote

after trying to figure out this problems for months I finally found the root cause on the day I'm posting for help in the forum. Murphy's Law in action. I guess I should have posted earlier.

The memory leakage problem occurs every time a client sends a HTTP/1.0 HEAD request without host header.
This only happens with HTTP/1.0 without host headers. HEAD HTTP/1.1 does not seem to cause the problem. With host headers included the bug also doesn't get triggered.

The relevant entry in my log looks like this:

212.95.252.16 - - [19/Oct/2007:18:30:24 +1000] "HEAD / HTTP/1.0" 500 0 "" ""

I can re-create the problem each time simply by using web-sniffer.net and sending the HEAD request to my server. Memory allocation goes through the roof until the page file fills up then everything comes to a halt.

I am getting the request from a search spider (netcraft.com) and have blocked access from their IP address range for now.

Hopefully someone from Aprelium can post a better workaround soon.

Martin
aprelium-beta
-

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you belive... Reply with quote

mstrommer,

Thank you for the report. Does that happen when HEAD invokes a PHP script or does it also occur with static HTML pages too?

The log lin shows that the page returned error 500. Is the PHP script always generating an error 500 or does that only occur with the HEAD request?

Could you please contact support@aprelium.com and send us the requested information as well as your abyss.conf file?

Thanks in advance.
mstrommer
-

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Support

Thank you very much for your quick response to this problem.

Quote:
Does that happen when HEAD invokes a PHP script or does it also occur with static HTML pages too?

The problem only occurs with a PHP script, not with static HTML pages.

Quote:
Is the PHP script always generating an error 500 or does that only occur with the HEAD request?

The script (root index.php file) runs fine with any other request. The memory issue only occurs with the HEAD reqeuest and only when the HEAD requests is HTTP/1.0 and does not include host headers.

I have forwarded the requested files to your support email address.

Again, thank you for looking into this.

Martin
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mstrommer,

Thank you for the email. We are working on the bug and we'll keep you updated about our progress.
TRUSTAbyss
-

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have such a behavior on my Mac OS X server. What PHP script are you using?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: