XP and limited accounts?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melinga
-

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 9:09 am    Post subject: XP and limited accounts? Reply with quote

Okay here is my problem. I have an admin account on XP Pro (thats me) and 4 limited accounts. Sadly Abyss doesn't seem to install for all users just the admin. Anyway I changed all limited accounts to admin temporarily, logged into each one and ran abyss and asked to auto start as a service. Next I changed all these accounts back to limited and logged in using a limited account AFTER I logged off as admin. Abyss starts okay and then jumps up saying 'cannot create configuration file'. Why? I don't want all users on my Windows XP to have admin accounts?

Please help on this one as I like abyss because its simple and not a resource hog. Please also email me at trevor@mochamail.com with any answers to this also.

Regards
Trevor
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
vbgunz
-

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I believe is happening is the lesser accounts cannot write to the Abyss folder because it is considered a program to be run by you (the admin) only... For sure their is a work around and I will check this out...

Heres an idea though... Can the lesser accounts install Abyss into a different folder (other than Abyss Web Server/etc)? If so maybe you can definitely get to something because Abyss isn't a true service (doesn't run in the background, except under fast user switching on XP)...

Anyway try installing it under a lesser account for now and play with it... Let us know what happens, good luck :)
vbgunz
-

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am on WinXP Home and cannot reproduce the problem. All my limited accounts can run Abyss successfully with no read/write errors... Perhaps you're on XPPro and theirs an underlying security option not present on Home?

One quick workaround I can mention though is if you're around, you start up the PC and log in with your Admin account, then ask for a fast user switch without actually switching users... This wouldn't be good at times when its a limited user starting up the PC but it can sure come in handy...

The above slight workaround assumes Abyss is starting up... If it is, then it should continue running while other users are accessing the PC...

Anyway, I hope you get the problem solved soon enough, Good luck :)
Melinga
-

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help but it's no good as long as Abyss doesn't run under ALL accounts as a true service. How come its not a true XP service? I thought it was. I'm also trying KFWS and it works fine (except slower) under all users. Hopefully Abyss will fix this ASAP. As for you cannot recreate the problem, maybe it is just the xp pro version. Also as for users installing it, they can't under limited accounts as they can't install software.

As for fast user switching (me starting it) what a drain on resources because I would have to remain logged in. Also a pain to do everytime.
vbgunz
-

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand, I love to have my PC run at peak performance at all times... I am sure if it is an XP PRO dillemma you're experiencing theirs a way to make it work... I heard theirs extra options for pro when you right click a program... Have you checked that?

Try searching the web on it but *first* try searching closer to home in Windows help... Join their newsgroups if worst comes to worst as I am sure this is just a security measure you're unaware of... Also, you can run Abyss as a true service using a third party program called firedaemon at http://www.firedaemon.com/

Also search these boards for firedaemon as I believe someone wrote an article on it... Good luck :)
wayne475
-

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my Abyss web server running as a service and it is working great. You can start any program you want as a service. Check this link out http://www.montgomerysoftware.com/default.asp?PageID=18
derakh
-

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using XP Pro and am not experiencing any of these problems. Could just be your own configuration, but dont quote me on that, I'm far from an expert! :D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: