hmailserver

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
svankamon
-

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:19 am    Post subject: hmailserver Reply with quote

Ok so i changed. I now have hmailserver but am having problems setting up the mx. Rather dont understand it. I have a domain and in the dns control panel there is a listing for MX records. In this section there is a field for what is most probably intended as a ip address.? and anopther smaller one for what could be a priority field. Does anyone know how to set this. Is it as simple as catch all emails and send them to my ip. Domanin in hmailserver address.??

Any ideas.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set the MX records to point to your IP. Then in hMailServer, set up a domain (your domain) and then set up an account to go with the domain. It couldn't be simpler. The hard part is the domain name settings, once you have that hMailserver is easy.
svankamon
-

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: your responce Reply with quote

first sorry i couldnt get a messaage to show so did it again and then was there twice.

I set up my MX, and a domain in hmailserver and an account in windows mail. This i did using my BT account details (Is that right)(using their smtp settings).

It does sound simple but something must be wrong. BT are registering my domain with them.?? Apart from that i have no idea. Ive tried many combinations but maybe the dns settings MX havent propergated yet, or bt are blocking. Any other help appreciated.

Thanks
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your own SMTP server has nothing to do with BT except for them running your line.

You need to set it up using your own domain. BT, as you say, do not block any ports so it shouldnt be a problem. The only problem you may have is mail not getting through, since many ISP IP blocks are blacklisted on major servers and wont let the mail through. This means that roughly half of the mail you send/receive will never reach its destination/your inbox.
svankamon
-

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: RE hmailserver Reply with quote

Cheers, bt have set up a relay for my domain.
The program im talking about allows me to send mail if i use the domain name and email address specified and created in hmailserver. If i use an alternative (external) address other than that it gives the error.

Warning: mail() [function.mail]: SMTP server response: 550 <svankamon@yahoo.com>... Not permitted in L:\abyss\htdocs\myclassifieds2\funcs2.php on line 246

Ive folowed a chaps instructyions as to set up an account for the domain specified in hmailserver and used the following settings.

email: info@cartouche.org.uk
pop3: (incoming)cartouche.org.uk
smtp: (outgoing)cartouche.org.uk

As for the username and password i have used my bt username and password.

Also in hmailserver i have used my bt username and password

Is this how its supposed to be or do i create a new user name ie info@cartouche.org.uk. and another password.??

Cheers a lot
svankamon
-

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: additionally hmailserver Reply with quote

also in my windows mail im getting:

The host 'pop3.cartouche.org.uk' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly.
Account: 'cartouche.org.uk', Server: 'pop3.cartouche.org.uk', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. You don't use your BT username and password, you use the email address as the username and the password you set up in hMailServer for the account.

2. Did you point "pop.yourdomain.com" and "smtp.yourdomain.com" to your IP? If not then thats why its timing out.

3. The mail() function will fail if no server is found. You need to put the smtp server address in the php.ini. This should be "localhost".
svankamon
-

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Done thaT Reply with quote

Ive done all thaty and tried different combinatoions of everything, im gonna look for a simpler program. Lifes too short. THanks for your help
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hMailServer is about as simple as you will get. The program is not to fault, its simply the domain setup that is not correct.
svankamon
-

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:38 am    Post subject: Re Impatience. Reply with quote

Hi Abyssunderground. Once again thanks. I have it up and running and my MX records seem to be ok. I just need to sort some other thing out with it though. I can send and recive but when i send from myname.com the mail is sent to the bulk folder as spam. Im working on that now ie setting up RCF, RFC or whatever it is. Thanks again. This is a msssive learning curve.
Cheers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: