Requesting help from anyone with a UPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Requesting help from anyone with a UPS Reply with quote

Hi all,

Ive just made a new script. As always im trying to make life easy for people. :-)

The link is here: http://www.abyssunderground.co.uk/calculator-ups_uptime.php
At the time I wrote this message its not available directly on the website.

Can you please test its accuracy?

I entered the values:

5Ah @ 130w = 13mins
7Ah @ 150w = 15mins
14Ah @ 130w = 45mins

and these seem to be correct for my 3 ups's. Ive based the efficiencies as much as possible on those three readings.

This script is relativly hard to code because it has to take in efficiency values. At the moment Ive made a relativly rough but good guess at the efficiency values but I need them to be verified by other people if possible.

Please dont guess the values it asks for. I need accurate results. EG, the PSU wattage is not necessarily the wattage it uses. And the Ah rating must be read directly from the battery or from the UPS manual.

Thanks, and sorry to cause any hassle to people who want to try this for me!
loloyd
-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot find any AmpHours or AH or Ah in my cheapo UPS specs from the manual, box or unit. I have a PowerCom 525VA. But it says there,
Quote:
Typical backup time (PC with 15" monitor): 10-20 minutes

Anyways, how will I get the Total Watts? Is it the max wattage of my CPU Power Supply or do I have to use specialized monitoring software to get my current watts usage?

http://home.loloyd.com/ is online if the logo graphic at left is showing.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a power meter which tells me the total usage. They're about £15 to buy but you can use them for anything.

Its amazing to know how much a TV wastes sitting on standby rather than turning it off!
loloyd
-

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Its amazing to know how much a TV wastes sitting on standby rather than turning it off!

Some of the folks here call that "phantom load" - which, in my understanding, is the electricity eaten by appliances on standby, and even by passive electrical extension cords.

Sorry this has gone out of topic but I'm interested in that power meter that you speak of. This is not one those electronics testers right? I have Googled a little bit about "power meter"s but I failed to find something of a household per-appliance gadget that should cost around £15 or around $20. Could you please point me to the right direction? TIA.

Edit: Never mind. I think I found some. But if you would care to share about your Power Meter brand and some specs, please do.

http://home.loloyd.com/ is online if the logo graphic at left is showing.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go to www.maplin.co.uk and type in power meter, its a plug-in-the-wall device that you plug something else into, and it gives volts, amps, watts, voltamps, hz, pf etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: