Remote access

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kennyman
-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Remote access Reply with quote

I was wondering if there was a way to make it so others can edit html files and reinsert them into the abyss file it would normaly load off of. I'm getting a server somputer and plan on running mine and my friends site off them, it would make it alot easier this way. Any suggestions? (couldn't find in a search)
-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try an FTP server look at this topic for help:

http://www.aprelium.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7353

If you would like it so people can get to your FTP server from anywhere via a web page (like http://www.yoursite.com/FTP) i suggest NET2FTP:

http://www.net2ftp.com
-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:16 am    Post subject: FTP Reply with quote

But will that allow my friend to edit his website, and get it so abyss will pick it up and change all needed factors, also is there a way to get a free version i can put a password on?
-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, with an FTP server, he can edit the files locally on his computer, and then upload a copy to everything on the server, and the server would upload it to whatever directory he wants, as long as the server is setup to allow him access to that folder. The second a file gets into any directory past the abyss htdocs folder, it is being hosted by abyss.

So, say if you wanted for your friend to have a subdirectory from your name, and your friend's name was zandor. You can make a folder in the htdocs folder called "zandor" and its address would be yourdomain.com/zandor/ ok? and then with the server you make him an account and for his root folder you can make it goto C:\Abyss Web Server\htdocs\zandor\ or wherever you put your abyss server, and give him diffrent levels of administration over that folder.

So, then he just has to login to the server, and upload the files he wants (make sure he has some kind of index file), and then its there, and if he wants to just update the content, he can just upload the new files and overwrite the old ones.

And yes, there are many free FTP servers and clients, like Filezilla. There is alot of documentation on the fourms on how to set up this server and I think a few others.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:14 am    Post subject: . Reply with quote

Ah I get it, never did much work with FTP... makes enough sense I'll work on it tonight thanks.
-

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use cerberus FTP server, http://www.cerberusftp.com ,easy setup, free for home users, lots of control, cant go wrong :D
-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Golden FTP right now, its working fine thank you guys.
-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kennyman wrote:
I have Golden FTP right now, its working fine thank you guys.

No problem, but be aware that even though your ISP allows abyss web server, they may shutdown your FTP server (as in my case, they contacted me saying that they turned 21 off due to an FTP server, and they will allow my port 80 as long as i DO NOT sell anything, donations would be fine thought :/)
-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man that sucks. Net Neutrality!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madman1337 wrote:
man that sucks. Net Neutrality!

Yea but on a good note, i still run the server just on port 12 and i change the port every week or so ;)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: