my new server...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madman1337
-

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: my new server... Reply with quote

I was browsing around a local computer store, and they had all of these servers sitting around without a pricetag. I checked out a few, and I found one that had two 500MHz Pentium II processors, and already had 512MB of RAM. It was nearly a barebone through, it didn't have a hard drive or a optical drive, but I have many spare at my house.

I asked the guy how much it was, and he asked me how much I wanted for it. I got it for $15.

I am working on overclocking each processor to hopefully around 875MHz or possibly higher. It also has 1GB of RAM, and it has a GeForce FX 5500 in it, and isnt really all that bad for many games like CS:S and get around 30 FPS on medium quality.

Right now, I am loading Fedora Core on it, along with Windows 98 SE that I picked up in there for $0.99.

Pretty good for $15 plus some spare junk around the house?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: my new server... Reply with quote

madman1337 wrote:
I asked the guy how much it was, and he asked me how much I wanted for it. I got it for $15.

That's a great deal! A biprocessor computer (even with legacy PII) with 512 MB is a wonderful server machine. It could even outperform some modern hardware (with a single but more powerful processor) for some stress load benchmarks.
megamoose
-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah great deal. Congratulations :)

Mark

Join this forum. Go on and have a laugh, I dare you to join
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
hc2995
-

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*claps* :D thats a great deal, hope you get it running good :D
-

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow...this is really annoying. It had all the PCI ports disabled, so I went into the bios and enabled them...and then I smelled this burning and everything froze. I looked inside, and theres a little thing of crusted toothpaste right at the bottom of one of the PCI slots. Its just a tiny spot, so I never noticed it. I am now working with asus to see if its salvagable at all. :( lol tip to everyone: if you get a computer for $15, make sure you check every square inch of it.

and if it doesn't work, the place has other computers there for like $20 but they weren't as good as this. its really too bad.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madman1337 wrote:
wow...this is really annoying. It had all the PCI ports disabled, so I went into the bios and enabled them...and then I smelled this burning and everything froze. I looked inside, and theres a little thing of crusted toothpaste right at the bottom of one of the PCI slots. Its just a tiny spot, so I never noticed it. I am now working with asus to see if its salvagable at all. :( lol tip to everyone: if you get a computer for $15, make sure you check every square inch of it.

and if it doesn't work, the place has other computers there for like $20 but they weren't as good as this. its really too bad.

That sucks :/
-

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that should be salvageable. well, i'm hoping. i'm amazed that there were 1 GB RAM support or even 512 MB RAM support for pII's though. hmm... can't remember.

http://home.loloyd.com/ is online if the logo graphic at left is showing.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
madman1337
-

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its a server mobo, so thats why it had the support for the 1GB of ram. asus doesn't know the board, but it has their name printed all over it, so I know its theirs.

from what im hearing though, it doesnt seem salvagable.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: