Cannot get outside access....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeanWDP
-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:42 am    Post subject: Cannot get outside access.... Reply with quote

Hello everyone. I'm attempting to have a website hosted from my machine, since the public hosting that is at Temple University is < 60MB. However, I've encountered a problem where nobody outside the Temple campus can access it. Currently the address is http://seancollins.sytes.net but it still will not work correctly.

I don't know exactly what I've missed in the steps. I have read the large FAQ and tutorial. I'm suspecting that somehow the layer of routers and such that are in place in the dorms is somehow interfereing, and the IP address that I find on the websites is only my local IP....
Back to top View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Moxxnixx
-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SeanWDP.
Check with your administrator. If you're behind a "layer of routers and such" port-forwarding will be needed
to access your server. It's also possible that they don't allow it. Many schools are cracking down on torrent
and other file sharing.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
SeanWDP
-

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know exactly who I would ask about my dillemma, let alone if they would even consider answering such a question. I might just hold off on the website until I return home.

I have a Apple G4 Dual 500mhz tower that would be perfect for running a server. Include an FTP client and bang, just park it at my home and everything is peachy.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: