multiple websites

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iggyfred

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 12:11 pm    Post subject: multiple websites Reply with quote

Hi, just wondering if anyone knows how to set up abyss such that requests from different domains have a different default index file / starting directory.
iggyfred
-

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have managed to anwswer this question myself, any news regarding when a release that can handle multiple sides is due out?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have no official release date. But we expect to launch it during the third quarter of 2003.
speel
-

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 4:31 am    Post subject: what! Reply with quote

thats like october you guys should do it much earlyer please
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Diablomax
-

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello guys!

Iggyfred! Could you please tell me your solution to having multiple websites?

I'd llike to have the same thing, multiple websites with different domain names and different index.html files, one for each website/domain name.

THANK YOU!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use PHP.

if ($HTTP_ENV_VARS["SERVER_NAME"] == "Test1.no-ip.org")
{
// The site
}
else if ($HTTP_ENV_VARS["SERVER_NAME"] == "Test2.no-ip.org")
{
// The other site
}
else ...... // and so on
Diablomax
-

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sorcerer!

But I have one problem... I don't know PHP at all.
Can that be done a different way? maybe with HTML or javascript?

Thank You!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 3:51 pm    Post subject: I am not sure I understand what you all mean Reply with quote

I can create as many sites as I wish all without conflict and each with their very own index file... It took me a couple hours to figure it out using Dreamweaver but I am not sure if I should post my solution because I do not know if it applies...

Can someone clarify what does multiple websites mean? I will post my solution if it applies...
Diablomax
-

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By multiple websites I mean each domain name points to a specific index.html file (its own index.html), and of course each index.html file has its own folder - each index.html is placed in a different folder (I think that is the way that should be).

Could you please tell me how that can be done? Please tell us your solution.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 2:37 am    Post subject: Here is my solution for multiple websites Reply with quote

I use Dreamweaver so I am not sure if this will work for everyone though I will try my best...

htdocs is the root level of the Abyss server. I thought then that if I wanted to create a sub site (a site of its own) I would simply have to create a new folder within htdocs and publish there...

htdocs/mynewsite/

But this is not the case... I kept noticing that at least with Dreamweaver which never gave me a problem in mirroring my site somehwere else was now giving me more probelms than I can deal with if I took that route, so I was back at the drawing board...

My solution to help create as many subsites that work was to create two sub folders in htdocs for every one site

htdocs/mynewsite/mynewsite

It is then the second directory where I would publish my site using abslolute and relative paths without conflict.

So in short I wouldn't publish to the first sub directory but to the second...

I hesitated in answering because I just thought I took an unorthodoxed to make it all work but if everyone else is having the same problem I can only suggest you try it.

Another thing is if it works it works :)

Thanks
kent.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look here is a simple solution,
find a dns service like no-ip.com
that allows redirects to secondary-urls
register a free domain name there right?
ok...now say you have registered http://damn.sytes.net
you can register another name like
http://damn2.sytes.net from the same account
and have it redirected to http://damn.sytes.net/spoof/index.html
and so on and so on, I think they allow up to 5 free domain names to be registered per account... but you can get around it by having more than one account with them like I do. I am running 25 different websites on my server here at home using this method.
buy a domain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 10:05 am    Post subject: If its about getting your own domain listen to this... Reply with quote

Why isnt everyone buying a real domain today? OK, I can't put it like that so why isn't everyone trying? It kills me people... I aint rich but 1 buck a day will buy me 52 domains in a year...

Thats an investment made in one day compared to

3 single cigarettes (lucies) or 4 bags of potato chips or 2 chocolate bars or 2 newspapers or half a comic book or 1/4 pack of baseball cards or 1/6 a meal at McDonalds... a day!

Can you spare one blockbuster rental and a box of popcorn a week to buy your own domain? Can you spare one night not going out to pig out to buy only one domain? Can you spare one less pack of cigarettes and bum a dollar for one week to buy just one domain? Can you even come up with 7 dollars in a week or are you a truly homeless bum whose now sitting in front of your magical computer sent to you by a magical fairy who will take it all away from you if you even attempt to buy just one domain?

If I see anything other than an invested domain trying to do business I will pass it right by... Usually, and you can look good and hard, any domain that ends in any plagued out freebie domain giveaway is nothing but a personal site no matter how many paypal buttons or banners or shopping carts exist on it, etc...

Why is it I am the only one doing the math? 1 dollar a day or 7 dollars a week or 28 dollars a month will get me my own domain... So why do most people act as if it so out of reach for them?

Is it really too hard?
Is it really too expensive?
Is it really not needed when trying to run your own server?
Is it really not needed when aiming for a web presence?
Is it really the same as a freebie domain?
Will you die from buying one?
Will your toilet water boil from buying one?
Will the world halt if you buy one?
Why the hell arent more people buying them?

etc...

I tried no-ip and no offense to Kent it does provide a superior and well needed service and luckily for free but not everyone needs it... And you know the clause of we can shut you down for no reason necessary and without explanation but watch people check it out and abuse it...

You know only seven bucks and one account I can make an infinite amount of domain redirects all the while advertising me... no one else but me... Why is it no one else is doing this?

It kills me and I am not mad right now though my letter might sound mad... I cant apologize for it though because deep down inside I know probably better than most that a domain is one of the best internet IDs around... So much power so many people take for granted... that kills me...

I am not writing this in an attempt to downplay anyone or make someone buy a domain because I say its the right thing to do but because it is the very first thing anyone and everyone should do considering they want a web presence...

You know what most peoples problems are? Lazyness... Not just muscle lazy either... I am talking about brain lazy... A lot of people do not see further than the day thats here...

Look it takes you ten minutes to go and come back from the store for two candy bars and you do it for seven days... Thats 70 minutes shot out your ass because candy bars will give you the poops...

Meanwhile within seventy minutes I can

Buy one domain, set it up, set up 20 URL alias redirects
Download Abyss, ASP, PHP, PERL and AWstat add-ons
Configure ASP, PHP, PERL and AWstat add-ons
Reconfigure my current firewalls
Reboot
Open up Dreamweaver and layout a CSS parked page
Publish the page to the Abyss directory
Write in my journal a few quick plans...

70 minutes you wasted on chocolate bars? You're a friggin pig... I don't care how skinny you are physically, you're a glutton for stupidity...

Think about it...

If moneys an issue get a job, borrow money, sell your ass

Did you know a box of condoms cost more than one domain?
Did you know a hot date at McDonalds cost more than one domain?

man im done...

I am not promoting a domain provider but go to http://www.godaddy.com if you want a well priced domain of your own for 7 bucks...

I am not getting paid by them nor am I endorsed by them but if you think I am kidding go here and get ripped (literally) http://www.networksolutions.com

Im done... Sorry if I offended anyone but no offense meant by my post... Aprelium needs to spend his or her time on improving the server not answering questions anyone should already know, etc...

Sorry just no offense...
Kent.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear buy a domain,

First off the abyss web server was made with personal use in mind not 'commercial' use, most regular people do not buy 'TLD's for the simple reason that its not a big deal to them. Its not like they are trying to sell the latest sports car or clothing line... you know what I mean? If you dont like the way the rest of the world does things outside of your own 'Suggestion'
run for president and try to change the way things are done from the top,
Hey, once there you can impose rules about people using other peoples services... I have an idea flogg those who use free services and double flogg the people that give the free service... and leave it up to me to flogg you for being such a rude condecending asshole. We really dont need people like you bad mouthing others here for being interested in helping others or people trying to get a 'start' ...and if you actually tried no-ip then you would have read that it is not only a free service.. they also provide TLDS AND DNS FOR THOSE TLDS... no-ip is good for those that want to host their own website on their machines at home or work with their client ip updating software from no-ip which allows for www.mysite.com to point to their dynamic IP on their machine... this allows them to cut jerks like you out of the middle and lessen the headache.

Have a nice night,
Kent.
DLashley
-

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I didn't get offended by your post, "buy a domain". lol

but I wouldn't exactly call a date at McDonald's a "hot" one. hehe... :wink:

My personal reasons for using the "No-IP" service are that it's free, flexible, easy to use, and pretty reliable. I already own several domains that are hosted on a UNIX server (where I have 250MB of space). I'm just using Abyss Web Server as an experiment, and I didn't want to purchase another domain just for that.

I've never run my own server before, especially off off my Windows box, and I'm enjoying messing around with it. I'm learning so much more about how a server operates by doing this, than I would from using the space I already have on the UNIX server, because I have don't have "root access" there.

This way I'm involved in every aspect of the server - from installation to administration to troubleshooting, etc... It's a great learning opportunity!

I plan on owning and operating my own server one day, and this allows me to get some experience so I wont be totally lost when that day comes.

I think the people here at Aprelium did a great job with this software, and I thank them very much for the free use of it, as they could certainly charge money for it and get it. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes No-IP is good, but I'm sorry to say that i've founf another webserver free software that is pretty easy to use and reliable and allows hosting of multiple websites.
So until Abys comes up with something that allows hosting of multiple websites, and has some of those bigs squashed I'll use that one, if anyone wants to know what that program is... well is called KFWS
Schemata

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DLashley wrote:
Personally, I didn't get offended by your post, "buy a domain". lol

but I wouldn't exactly call a date at McDonald's a "hot" one. hehe... :wink:

My personal reasons for using the "No-IP" service are that it's free, flexible, easy to use, and pretty reliable. I already own several domains that are hosted on a UNIX server (where I have 250MB of space). I'm just using Abyss Web Server as an experiment, and I didn't want to purchase another domain just for that.

I've never run my own server before, especially off off my Windows box, and I'm enjoying messing around with it. I'm learning so much more about how a server operates by doing this, than I would from using the space I already have on the UNIX server, because I have don't have "root access" there.

This way I'm involved in every aspect of the server - from installation to administration to troubleshooting, etc... It's a great learning opportunity!

I plan on owning and operating my own server one day, and this allows me to get some experience so I wont be totally lost when that day comes.

I think the people here at Aprelium did a great job with this software, and I thank them very much for the free use of it, as they could certainly charge money for it and get it. 8)

AMEN!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked out KF Web Server just to see what it was like. It has a whole lot of features that Abyss Web Server doesn't!!! The next version of Abyss will probably have all or some of these features, but I wish it would come out sooner.
DLashley
-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bear with me a minute here please (newbie)...

OK, so this is the PHP script that goes inside the PHP tags. I guess this would go into the "htdocs"folder.

Question: How do you make Test1.no-ip.org and Test2.no-ip.org go to a specific folder/webpage on your drive?

Could you please give more specific details? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

TheSorcerer wrote:
Use PHP.

{
// The site
}
{
// The other site
}
else ...... // and so on

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I checked out keyfocus.com and their webserver, personally I think its a piece of junk...and their support is pretty much non existant..can I get an APRELIUM? ;)

KENT.
KENT.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PARDON ME ITS KEYFOCUS.NET....(TEE-HEE) :oops:
DLashley
-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like the Admin Console. It makes what should be easy - kinda confusing. The Abyss console is much better, and I agree about the help and support.

I'll just wait for the new Abyss version... :wink:
-

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 8:48 pm    Post subject: Multiple Sites? Reply with quote

Ok, here's the funny part. Multiple sites can be at least 3 things or done 3 different ways. myserver.com/ , myserver.com/site1/ , myserver.com/site2/.
Then there's, myurl.com/, site1.myurl.com, site2.myurl.com.
And Then there's myurl.com, myotherurl.com, my3rdurl.com, etc.

My question is, if I have the latter of those 3, being the 3 different domain names then how would I go about hosting all 3 on the abyss server? Is there a script for that? Is that in the making? Or am I the only one that has multiple domain names registered?

I appreciate any comments on this. Thanks!
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
skylark
-

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 8:54 pm    Post subject: ??? Reply with quote

TheSorcerer wrote:
Use PHP.

{
// The site
}
{
// The other site
}
else ...... // and so on

Ok, I may sound dumb now, but what am I supposed to put in the "SERVER_NAME" portion of that script?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
skylark
-

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 9:21 pm    Post subject: OK, there has to be a script!!! Reply with quote

There has to be a script out there somewhere that can be placed on the IP's index page that will redirect to a folder.

Meaning, if I have 3 .coms and all 3 are pointed to my IP. Now, that goes to the abyss/htdocs/index.html by default. I want to then, be able to read which .com they came in on, to read the browser url and redirect them from there to a folder located @ abyss/htdocs/sub1/index.html. This seems sooo easy, yet Im not finding any help on how to do this. Maybe someone can take my idea and capitalize on it, I dunno, maybe someone could send me that script...or maybe its just not possible and I'll pulling straws here.

Either way, Please, SOMEONE, let me know!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: